News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What Makes The Peter Ross Such A Bad Fly

Started by Wildfisher, January 08, 2006, 11:11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenwell

It is definitely a confidence thing. For me the Peter Ross has always been a grand fly fished on the middle dropper early season between a Blae and Black on the tail and a Kate Mclaren on the top dropper. From March to around the middle of May that's my first choice trio, from mid-May onwards the P. Ross seems to be less reliable and I then have the B&B in the middle and either a Butcher or a double Alexandra on the tail. On the point about confidence, I have never caught a trout, stocked, wild or jumpin' mad on a Soldier Palmer, Zulu or Green-tailed Kate despite having given all three more than a fair go over the years. Last season one of the top flies at Harperrig from mid-April to mid-June was the Golden Olive Bumble, yet despite giving it many chances to prove it's worth I failed spectacularly to attract a single fish to it. Another two patterns which seem to be less popular nowadays are the Grouse & Claret and Mallard & Claret yet they are time-honoured killers; sadly, they have never proved so for me.
                             Anyway, tightstring and hopefully this season will be a good one for all the forum members, whatever flies you use and wherever you wet your lines,
                                          Greenwell.  :D

Fierybroon

cheeky fecker :lol: bow-leggit auld wimmin catcher  
It's funny how quickly you can go off someone!!

Fishtales

You could always go back and edit it :)

Or use this and just right click before you send anything, works on all sites not just this one.

http://aspell.net/win32/
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Sodger Muddler

I got fed up not catching on the Peter Ross and modified it a wee bit :D

Hook - B110 Grub

Thread  -  Black

Body  - Silver tinsel

Rib  -  Silver wire

Hackle  -  Black Palmered

Thorax - Bright red seals fur

Head hackle - Grizzle or Badger

Cheeks (Optional) - Jungle Cock.

This flee works a treat on the middle dropper lads.
Tightlines.

nant_fisher

The version i use hasnae got a wing and has just got the black hackle as im sh**e at tying wings in.

Cheers

Robbie
Adventure time

Fierybroon

Well, it's been a lively debate.I think I am going to try the Peter Ross this season and see how it fares for me. :twisted:

Malcolm

It's a brilliant flee! Caught me more September loch leven broonies than anything else - sometimes I use two on my cast at the same time. It's one of only half a dozen traditional wets that are in my fly box. Doesn't work for me  in any size larger than 14, 16 is best (good in an evening buzzer hatch too when they're taking below the surface).
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

superscot

QuoteIt's a brilliant flee! Caught me more September loch leven broonies than anything else - sometimes I use two on my cast at the same time. It's one of only half a dozen traditional wets that are in my fly box. Doesn't work for me  in any size larger than 14, 16 is best (good in an evening buzzer hatch too when they're taking below the surface).

Malcolm well said .....stand by it all the time ....a photo to prove !

[attachimg=1]

superscot

It's like trying to get oot of jail on this forum ....  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:but will say Ardbeg ...the wee troots out that loch really marked up really well  ...some of the Sionascaig ones really dark .....well fed and plump ....

Wildfisher

Quote from: crocach on September 14, 2008, 12:18:50 PM
Looks like it took someone two years to catch a troot with a Peter Ross

not only that, he was out everyday, summer and winter  :D

Go To Front Page