News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What Makes The Peter Ross Such A Bad Fly

Started by Wildfisher, January 08, 2006, 11:11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highlander

One for the unbelievers out there.
A wee variant if mine that has taken a few fish.
Apologies if I have shown it before.

Noo bad tied fly other than the wing which could have been a bit better, apart from that proportion is about right for a Wet Fly. Rear third is Veniard pearl tinsel, body & hackle is orange Seal fur & orange hen respectively. Originaly tied it for a guy in the States for Sea Ron Cutts but has caught a few fish including Sea Trout on home waters.

Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

sandyborthwick

Took one out my box for a day in Orkney to try :(, lived up to its reputation - back to my normal choices now. It seems right and it should catch - I'm begining to think its the way I retrieve the fly that might be the problem? - I just tend to use it with the standard pulling method. I was intrigued with its success when the fish are on the evening midge hatch :? - may have to give it another outing in those conditions.

Sandy B.O.

Texxa

In fairness I don't tend to fish wets that don't look 'buggy' to my eyes....eg I tend to fish the likes of black pennels, dabblers, black spiders and various dark palmered patterns that look vaguely midge-like. The again how do whe know what the troot see??

Highlander

Sandy, the Peter Ross is one of those flies that respond to a rather erratic retrieve, sort of slow slow quick quick slow. Shades of ballroom dancing. Whilst many disdain this fly, a few myself included find it useful on occasion. It is without doubt a tail fly & is good if fish are feeding on shrimp, why I have absolutely no idea  as it looks nothing like a shrimp either in shape or colour but fish that are feeding on shrimp will take this fly. To me it is the sort of fly that whilst not a "fish killer" will maybe take the biggest of the day. Salmon & Sea Trout too succumb & it was very popular on the River Endrick when I fished it years back.
Try a standard but with an orange hackle instead of the more usual black for Broonies
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

sandyborthwick

Thanks Highlander, I think I'll try using a more varied retrieve and the shrimp thing sounds interesting on a water I know full of them.

Sandy B.O.

alancrob

I just noticed that this thread has been visited more than 2000 times.  :shock:

Surely that makes Peter Ross a very popular chap indeed!  :lol:

Alan

Wildfisher

Quote from: alancrob on September 30, 2008, 09:12:48 PM
I just noticed that this thread has been visited more than 2000 times.  :shock:

Surely that makes Peter Ross a very popular chap indeed!  :lol:

Alan

new naw, it's just for the banter!   :D

Highlander