News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Words Of Wisdom From The Great Man Himself

Started by Wildfisher, March 10, 2013, 12:07:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

garryh

i cant claim to get the same inspiration as the great man but my attitude to tying in the winter is identical .i need the inspiration of knowing where i am going to be fishing at the weekend or whatever .otherwise i cant be arsed.

Garry
Education is important.
But fishing is importanter

Wildfisher

I used to tie a lot in winter, but discovered over many years that from a fishing point of view it was pointless.  Far better to tie the day before - that way they won't get lost in a morass of unused flies that seemed a good idea on some cold night in December.

That's only  a fishing point of view of course and is only my point of view. Tying as a hobby itself is a very different thing from tying just for fishing and is as valid a use of time as anything else.

emc

Rare bit of prose that. Always been a bit mystified about Stan but now I understand :worried

goggs

Over the winter,i've tied a handfull each of flies i'll definately use.......My catching flys so as to speek :lol: As i'm just really getting into the tying i've been kind of going over the top,tying this tying that,all good practice right enough!!!!
I Know for sure i'll not be tying like that every winter as it could prove pointless and never use half of them,but heyho :D

Goggs

Highlander

Winter time to me is the ideal time for tying. It is a time to be creative, a time to chill, a time to top up those lost flies, a time to experiment, to will away the old nights. By all means tie during the season, those wee thoughts that come to you during a hatch where you have failed miserably to catch. something you saw in someones elses box, maybe just a whim. For me the season is for fishing & not tying.
I do not go with "Great Mans" reasoning but then again I will never be great & thanks be to the Lord for that.

Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Wildfisher

I think you're great Alan. Old school, nae bullshit. That's of immeasurable worth and very refreshing  in a fly fishing world dominated by hype and gigantic egos.   :D

Highlander

Fred, I bet you say that to all the girls.
:roll:
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Wildfisher

Go To Front Page