News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Support Your Local Tackle Shop?

Started by Wildfisher, March 19, 2013, 04:21:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

otter

Imagine walking into a tackle shop. Finding a bin of indian hen capes, sorting through, finding a few little gems, onto the cock bin, then the wings, pheasant tails  - a few pearsall silks, a quick sift through dozens of hare masks and body pieces..... startling skins, partridge skins - imagine it if you can.

its getting hard even to bloody imagine it.   :roll:

You would need to wear sun glasses these days before going into any shop that does fly tying.

Wildfisher

Quote from: Colliemore on March 20, 2013, 11:21:20 AM
it sounds like he has lost a customer.

I'll still go back now and then. I  still want to support the local shop if I can, but I am wondering if my custom is relevant in new age  of fake fish angling. 

Allan Crawford

Off course when I rant on about local, its a 75 mile drive, but then for us that is just what it takes to go shopping and doing a big shop including filling the car with diesel saves alot of money from going to the Co-Op every time something is needed. Luckily I think Grahams is a great tackle shop, likewise here in ABDN I have enjoyed going into Somers. As a kid I looked forward to spending all my pocket money in the local tackle shop.

If sitting on the west coast and not needing a trip to town then online is a good service and for fly tying bits postage is a minimum so I'm glad I have both options.

I'd like to think your custom is relevant in the new age of fake fish angling, your long legged black girl would have turned a few eyes among the traditional dry fly fishers of my youth :)

Wildfisher

Somers is good even  if the staff sometimes seem a bit dour.  A long established local business. Parking is a nightmare though being just off Union Street. You have to remember to add £3  to your bill to cover parking.

Allan Crawford

Yes they can be a bit dour and the parking is a bit like playing Russian roulette with the traffice wardens. When I get bumped from going offshore its a walk down to the fishing shop, something to eat and a few pints in the Howff before walking back to the accommodation.

goggs

Quote from: otter on March 20, 2013, 11:46:06 AM
Imagine walking into a tackle shop. Finding a bin of indian hen capes, sorting through, finding a few little gems, onto the cock bin, then the wings, pheasant tails  - a few pearsall silks, a quick sift through dozens of hare masks and body pieces..... startling skins, partridge skins - imagine it if you can.

its getting hard even to bloody imagine it.   :roll:

You would need to wear sun glasses these days before going into any shop that does fly tying.

This would be an ideal shop.....Ive been in 3 different shops over the last couple of months,mainly cause the nephew needed stuff and found there fly tying materials are all lure related,nae gid ti me that!! Online has everything i need :8)
Change of the times!!!!!

Highlander

I did try,
Arthur Allan... shut
Cafaro.... shut
W Robertson... shut
Alex Martin... shut
CC Mann...shut
James Kent ...shut
Tausney... shut
Pitchers of Paisley .....shut
Anglers Rendevous.......moved to the Eastern wastelands of Glasgow
Ach well, always the GAC
Alan
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Robbie

I would like to be able to inspect materials before buying, but as many have said it is very hard to find a shop which stocks the materials I am looking for. Having said this the last couple of times I have been in the Orvis shop in Banchory they have had various wings and other bits and pieces from Cookshill. I was also given a catalogue to take away and advised that they can order in any materials I am after, even offering to pieces with properties to suit the intended use.

I can see myself spending more of my hard earned in Banchory, this type of service deserves support, IMHO.

Wildfisher

Orvis is good. Changed a pair of boots  for me last season- I was actually going to buy  a new pair as I considered I had fair use of the ones that fell to bits, but Ben Dixon reckoned they should not have, so  I got  them for free. It's a bit far to go for a a pair of snipe wings though.  :lol:

Robbie

Too far and they have too many shiny new toys!!!

Go To Front Page