News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Your Tying Set Up

Started by Wildfisher, March 20, 2013, 03:09:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

As mentioned previously I tend not to tie flies during the winter as I feel it disconnects the process too much from the actual fishing and the result is always boxes of flies that get forgotten and never used.

I am tying a bit now, champing at  the  bit to get going with the actual fishing.  Living by myself I can  please myself how I organize the house. I don't like living in a cluttered dump, but I have set up a permanent tying station in my spare room.

[attachimg=1]
Tying bench and materials cabinets

[attachimg=2]
Photography set up

How do you organize your tying set up?

Buanán

Blimey Fred  :shock: mines just a simple vice and the edge of the coffee table when the fancy takes me, materials live in a cardboard box by my seat. I tend to tie during the season, although I did a fair bit of tying winter before last but weather being pants last season I didn't get to use that many, mainly wets for trout streams.

This winter I resisted going back to a policy of tying as I need, which I can do from the comfort of my chair without getting up. 

Allan Crawford

Very neat Fred looks like a good setup. This winter I retrieved my fly tying gear after an on going house move which started three years ago. Been trying to get organised over the winter and tie a few flies, not happy with my set up yet, still have some way to go. Using a cheap old computer corner desk, when I placed it in my office wife complained she never saw me, so moved into the living room but then I have to tidy up after myself.  :?

Wildfisher

Oi! nae jokes about my fly  tying studio  :lol:

Clan Chief

I like yer set up Fred. I think It helps to hve a permanent set up. As you can just sit down have a wee think a tie just the one fly if you like. f you know what I mean? as its such a pain to dig out everything and set up the tying gear etc. I used to have mine permenantly set up but not anymore but after seeing yours I reckon its time I did so again. I also find if everything is packed away I am less likely to tie anything. Nice set up Fred!

Wildfisher

That's it Allan. Like any true artist it means you are ready to go the instant the inspiration hits you.  :8)

You just can't beat the tying  studio  :lol:

Highlander

Ideal Fred, As Clan Chief said a permanent setup is preferable if you have the space. I would tidy up that lamp cable though.
A bit of a trip hazard. Stick it behind the drawers at least. Good light from the window is an added bonus.

Alan
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Wildfisher

True Alan. The photography set up requires the two lamps to get enough illumination  for the photos. A bit of an afterthought  and I will go and move that extension cable now while I remember. Well noted.  :D

burnie

Looks fine and dandy there Fred, I'll drop my order round on my way back from the doctors...............

haresear

I don't have a dedicated space, so I have to use the computer desk, to which is permanently attached my tying lamp.

When I have to tie ore feel a rare urge to do so, I dig out what I need from the cupboard, vice, tools, materials and put them on one of these cushioned tray things, which I sit on the computer desk.

http://www.animazoogle.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/265x265/17f82f742ffe127f42dca9de82fb58b1/e/a/eat-cake-tray.jpg

When I'm done, I put the lap tray in the cupboard with all the stuff on it for the next session or tidy the lot away again.

The lap tray isn't ideal like a permanent tying studio, but it is moveable and I take it (and the lamp, tools etc.) on holiday with us when we are holidaying in Scotland.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Go To Front Page