News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Your Tying Set Up

Started by Wildfisher, March 20, 2013, 03:09:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tweed

No studio, but does me fine  :lol: . . . .

[attachimg=1]

To be fair, if I know I'm going to enter one of my "tying phases" - they usually last a couple of months and then I lose interest again - I'll set up a permanent desk in the spare room.  But you can't beat a few flees tied in front of the tele with a cuppa!   :D

Oh, and cheers for the inspiration - a few for the new season tonight!  :)

Wildfisher

Alex, is that one of those trays with the bean bag on the bottom of it?

Part-time

Setup very much like Tweed's but with a bigger toolbox to hold even more stuff I don't use :)

I got back into tying a few years back and tied alot mostly during the winter, just can't seem to get back into it this winter though.

haresear

Quote from: admin on March 20, 2013, 11:06:31 PM
Alex, is that one of those trays with the bean bag on the bottom of it?

Aye Fred. Very hi-tech :)

Alex
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

I just bought a few of these trays Alex. I didn't even know such things existed a few weeks ago -   :lol:  - they are great, dead stable.

Allan Crawford

As mentioned when your fly tying gear is not handy, by the time I get the wee one of to bed I havent got any energy left to get started, but if its set up then I might have a couple of flies in me. I was running out of flies when fishing the last few seasons and was lucky to find any fly to fish with never mine having a choice to make.

As I'm trying to organise will be good to to get ideas from others, one idea I've had come from tying offshore. When faced with a desk that has one drawer underneath but no lip to attach clamp type vice which I use (those who use pedestal base wont have this problem) I opened the drawer which then allows the clamp to be attached. After tying some flies I decided that this was actually a really useful feature as the waste material goes in the drawer, you can store the tools and materials in the drawer when finish, shut the draw and everything is tidy and out of sight. All you have to do is clear the drawer out once in a while.

If you have space for a set up like Freds then your sorted !

Guddler

Quote from: Colliemore on March 21, 2013, 08:53:13 AM
by the time I get the wee one of to bed I havent got any energy left to get started, but if its set up then I might have a couple of flies in me. I was running out of flies when fishing the last few seasons and was lucky to find any fly to fish with never mine having a choice to make.

In the same boat as you on both counts!  :lol:  Tied next to nothing last winter so was scrabbling around for allsorts of stuff when I did make it out fishing.

I saw a nice and simple design in a similar thread on another forum and ripped it off using the leftovers from a shelving project. It's pretty handy as I can haul it down from aforementioned shelves and then stick it back up out of reach of little hands when I'm finished. The back is blanked off with a bit of hardboard and I can pack a fair bit of gear in under all the bobbins.

[attachimg=1]

Allan Crawford

Quote from: Guddler on March 21, 2013, 10:28:02 PM
It's pretty handy as I can haul it down from aforementioned shelves and then stick it back up out of reach of little hands when I'm finished.

Good set up Guddler and I like this approach if you dont have the space for a set up like Freds, just now I dont have a shelf big/high enough, but that could change   :?
Now I'm packing the tools and materials back into a fishing box and putting a pad lock on :)
This box just holds what I'm currently working on with other boxes kept in another room well out of reach.

Wildfisher

I like that set up of Guddler's  too. Very practical.

bushy palmer

My Setup is almost identical to Freds however, no photo for now as my wife would never forgive me if a posted a photo of that room without first giving her notice so she could hoover and polish the already hoovered and polished surfaces :roll:

Go To Front Page