News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Your Tying Set Up

Started by Wildfisher, March 20, 2013, 03:09:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darwin

:makefun

paulr

Quote from: Alan on March 24, 2013, 02:00:27 AM
i'm of the opinion that making flies gradually destroys your ability to catch fish, initially its just a useful distraction but it quickly develops into a dependency on the new, before long your depending on the fly, blaming the fly, needing a different fly...another fly different from all the ones before..the one that will change your luck, it becomes a form of gambling that makes you believe its the fly that everything depends on.

break free fly makers, you got enough of them now :lol:

I'm of the opinion that taking casting far too seriously means you catch less fish as you end up spending valuable fishing time fannying about in public parks casting bits of wool at hoops  :tongue2

Wildfisher

13Fisher1

Quote from: paulr on March 24, 2013, 04:39:44 PM
I'm of the opinion that taking casting far too seriously means you catch less fish as you end up spending valuable fishing time fannying about in public parks casting bits of wool at hoops  :tongue2

Hey, steady on! I'm getting quite fixated and fond of casting the bit of fluff on a pond, you mean this is not it? Damn  :lol:

otter

Tried casting instruction years ago, he kept going on about twelve o clock, one o clock. My temper flaired as I suspected he was having an affair with my wife. Every time i goto the river all I hear is be home by twelve o clock, one o clock, 6 O clock....blah blah blah.  :crap

Billy

I keep my fly tying gear in Aberdeen as I have more spare time there during the week than I do at home at the weekend. I had intended making a fly tying station to keep all my bits and bobs tidy as it tends to get a bit messy once I start but other things took priority.
It was my wife who first suggested getting a unit to house it all in. I think it was mainly because she was sick of seeing the stuff spread over the kitchen table when she came up to Aberdeen for a wee visit/inspection. I had an eye on a roll top desk which a mate of mine was talking about throwing out but his wife could not make up her mind what she wanted to replace it.
I managed to pick up a decent sized unit with two large drawers at the bottom which hold all my stuff in boxes of various sizes. I also bought a sliding shelf which was originally designed for a computer keyboard and was to be slung underneath a desk unit. I bolt the vice onto the shelf which slides into the cupboard when not in use and I can clear away the feathers and fluff away in seconds if need be. The surface of the sliding shelf is non slip foam which is ideal for keeping stuff in place when it's moved into its storage position.
I have also installed a page holder inside the unit for holding sheets with fly patterns or resting a book against.
The cupboard came with a handy hole cut in the back which takes the plug and cable for my mag-light so there was no need for hacking it to bits to get the cable through.
One thing I still intend to do is to make some kind of tool posts for the bobbin holders, whip finish tools etc.  I will also install clips on the inside of the main working area to handle packets of dubbing etc. which I use on a regular basis.
A couple of years ago a friend of mine lost his Grandfather who had not only been an avid fisherman and fly tyer but had decided in his last few years to try and empty the Glasgow Angling Centre of its entire stock of chenille's, hooks, feathers and all sorts of other bits of fluff. Knowing I was a trout man my mate picked out all of the bits and pieces which he could not use himself for his Salmon flies and brought it all into work in various plastic bags over a period of a few days.
The variety of stuff I inherited from him was incredible and will certainly see me through to my end although I still buy odds and ends to keep up with the latest trends and fads of the tying world.
The unit sits in the corner of my kitchen and the only give away is the chair which sits in front of it. I invested in a decent chair a few years ago when my back was at its worst and would act up if I was sitting hunched up even for a short time.
The project is still classed as work in progress as I try to refine the set up but no doubt I'll get there in time for the main tying season starting in October.

Billy

Allan Crawford

Hi Billy
Looks like a great setup !

Go To Front Page