News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Beer

Started by Inchlaggan, April 18, 2013, 02:43:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inchlaggan

That got your attention in the Flies and Tying Section, didn't it?
My soon-to-be neighbour is building his new home beside me.
I have been helping out with little errands and the loan of various items from the workshop where he is amused by the amount of fishing tackle on display.
It turns out he is a bit of an expert on beer and a home brew fanatic, no bad thing in a neighbour.
Still not a suitable post for this section? Just wait!
He has presented me with a beer to try, the first and only one I have ever come across dedicated to fly-fishers, and rather nice it is too. Just the thing to have to hand for a session at the bench.
Here you go, you should be able to get it at your local supermarket.

http://www.hall-woodhouse.co.uk/beer/blandford-flyer

Any other drinks dedicated to fly-fishing?
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Fishtales

Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Wildfisher

are brown beers specially deigned for dry fly fishing?     :worms

Clan Chief

Interesting! Funnily enough for some time now I have been enjoying a bottle of red wine now and a again and a bottle which caught my eye a while back is this one. I have no idea which is a good bottle or otherwise as I buy what ever is on offer for a fiver at the supermarket. The label on this one caught my ettention and I rather enjoy drinking it too. Oh and by the way the tail looks a bit big on that fly.  :lol:

Allan Crawford

Quote from: Inchlaggan on April 18, 2013, 02:43:37 PM

It turns out he is a bit of an expert on beer and a home brew fanatic, no bad thing in a neighbour.
Still not a suitable post for this section? Just wait!

Great neighbour to have  :)

Wildfisher

Well I don't know  about fishing  connections but I am sitting here supping a bottle of Greene King Abbot Ale - one of the finest beers in the world imho.

I suppose we could make a contrived connected with the Abbots Barton Fishery on The Test, even although  it is brewed in Suffolk.  :lol:

If you have not tried it do so, it is superb and many supermarkets sell it, sometimes on special offer (get it before Wee Eck bans that practise). You can say what you like, but the English brew some the best ale in the world.

corsican dave

i would have to put in a strong vote for worthington's white shield as possibly the best bottled beer in the world, but even as an english-man i have to admit that the belgians know a thing or two about fine ales: corsendonk would be top of the heap for me with liefman's frambosen or kriek not far behind.

incidentally, the anderson at fortrose (black isle) is an absolute gem for the belgian beer afficionado. frambosen on draft :shock: check it out sometime, but be prepared to book a room  :lol:

sorry, no fishing in this post
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Wildfisher

25 odd years ago I did a lot of brewing, proper beer, mashing malt etc. I used Worthington's White Shield to culture yeast. Buy a bottle, let it settle drink all but the bottom inch + sediment and use it as a starter. It made real beer with none of the off tastes sometimes associated with home brewing. Can you still get White Shield? Only place I ever found t was in The Prince Of Wales in Aberdeen. A wondrous beer indeed.

Clan Chief

Quotei have to admit that the Belgians know a thing or two about fine ales:
I particularly like Leffe Blond and Braun. Best ever in my opinion!

corsican dave

Quote from: admin on April 19, 2013, 11:51:48 PM
25 odd years ago I did a lot of brewing, proper beer, mashing malt etc. I used Worthington's White Shield to culture yeast. Buy a bottle, let it settle drink all but the bottom inch + sediment and use it as a starter. It made real beer with none of the off tastes sometimes associated with home brewing. Can you still get White Shield? Only place I ever found t was in The Prince Of Wales in Aberdeen. A wondrous beer indeed.

morrisons inverness.!presumably elsewhere too. not the cheapest: around £2.50, which is top end for morrisons. i'll lay in a few bottles for the reiff stravaig in august :D
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Go To Front Page