News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Beer

Started by Inchlaggan, April 18, 2013, 02:43:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

I'll check out our local Morrison's tomorrow.  Great supermarket - real beer - nae horse.  :8)

haresear

I very nearly plumped for White Shield when in Morrsons a few hours ago. I had never noticed the stuff before, but will give it a go forthwith. You can use words like forthwith when speaking of ales :)

The Thwaites Tavern Porter and Broughton Exciseman did very nicely instead.

Alex
Protect the edge.

tomcatin

Quote from: admin on April 19, 2013, 11:51:48 PM
25 odd years ago I did a lot of brewing, proper beer, mashing malt etc. I used Worthington's White Shield to culture yeast. Buy a bottle, let it settle drink all but the bottom inch + sediment and use it as a starter. It made real beer with none of the off tastes sometimes associated with home brewing. Can you still get White Shield? Only place I ever found t was in The Prince Of Wales in Aberdeen. A wondrous beer indeed.

An excellent ale, but also a rather entertaining addition to a sourdough bread culture!

From my own recent experience using Worthington's White Shield, it can help produce an excellent sour dough culture for bread; the early loaves have a rather nice ale related taste (but seemed to facilitate a bit of entertaining wind!)
Sadly my 7' 5 weight that killed fascists is deceased!

So in respect and in memorium, PLEASE DONATE TO AND SUPPORT THE WILD FISHING FORUM

zeolite

I do believe I posted about the Blandford fly some years ago. I was working down in Dorset and one of my colleagues introduced me to it. the ginger is in it to stop the drinker from being bitten by the "Blandford fly"

Here in Wyoming I am well served with Colorado and Wyoming micro-breweries. Blue Moon and Fat tyre being the biggest.
Schrodinger's troots pictured above.

Sandison

Thanks, Inchlaggan, great post!
Bruce Sandison

corsican dave

BASS!! :lol: sorry folks, couldn't resist it......
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Wildfisher

Burton-on-Trent is most certainly a mecca for ale. It's got a lot to to with the water.

Wildfisher

White Label - acquired -   £2.25 / bottle.  :8)

Morrisons also had "Old Speckled Hen"  (another fine ale) on special at £1.25, so I was forced to buy some just in case it tempted the drunken ned element that trouble Scotland so much.  :lol:

Darwin

We seem to have a few over here, have not been able to find them locally yet...
http://flyingfish.com/beers/

burnie

Just had a Thwaites "Wainwright" with my late lunch from Home Bargain in Arbroath,less than £1.50 and superb.

Go To Front Page