News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

DHE v CDC/Elk

Started by east wind, May 18, 2013, 10:15:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

east wind

Well, I've been fishing the CDC/Elk exclusively now for about six weeks and when I get it right I'm getting takes first time of asking on every troot barring one dog day afternoon when nothing was going to shift them other someone who knows how to fish nymphs correctly or a more skilled angler than me (one nosed a small upstream spider) and another day when a fish was gorging on iron blue duns (an adams emerger took care of that one)

On Monday I was fishing a stream very low at summer level. They were taking the odd medium dun but more often it was tiny sips to smuts. The fly caught one in slow water right at the edge barely deep enough to cover its back at two and three quarter lbs. I lost five other good fish that day, I had to crawl hands and knees to get to them, Draper knee pads ordered and delivered.

It's worked when yellow sally's were crawling about my hat and last year tempted a nice troot that was taking stuff I could not see. Its fooled my biggest fish this season that was not particularly active and accounted for my last fish last season of about a quarter pound from a small burn in October.

Got them in yellow for the YMDs and I'm sure it would cover stoneflies as well. Last July one evening I got a huge thump and break on one fished down and across when I ran out of specific sedge pattens.

The deer hair thing (can't remember it's name) is a cracking fly but its now almost, but not completely, been superseded by something that is livelier on the water, floats better and can be more easily seen.

Of course it could all be self fulfilling prophecy stuff but at the moment it has magical properties and I intend to worship it accordingly  :8)
Listen son, said the man with the gun
There's room for you inside.

Traditionalist

Actually most half way decent flies will work like that about 80...90% of the time as long as the presentation is good. For the other 10...20 % you need others. Although this also depends on where you fish.

Wildfisher

I reckon the cdc / elk is the most effective fly of the two, however as I have said already  I avoid cdc when I can especially if  I am expecting to catch a lot of fish. My biggest issue with the DHE is poor visibility, it's probably one of the most difficult dry flies to see on the water.

east wind

Quote from: Mike Connor on June 12, 2013, 06:16:45 PM
Actually most half way decent flies will work like that about 80...90% of the time as long as the presentation is good. For the other 10...20 % you need others. Although this also depends on where you fish.

That's not been my experience Mike.

east wind

Quote from: admin on June 12, 2013, 06:18:49 PM
I reckon the cdc / elk is the most effective fly of the two, however as I have said already  I avoid cdc when I can especially if  I am expecting to catch a lot of fish. My biggest issue with the DHE is poor visibility, it's probably one of the most difficult dry flies to see on the water.

It's aero dry wing for me now. The CDC when wrapped round a hook builds up not too bad a body though and those trailing fibers.......

Wildfisher

Quote from: east wind on June 12, 2013, 06:25:55 PM
those trailing fibers.......

Yes, I have no doubt at all  that's what does it.

mobile "legs"

Traditionalist

You can use a shaped foam post instead of deer hair, seems to work just as well and is a lot less bother. I don't think there is any reliable substitute for CDC. Does seem to work well on some dry flies, just a pain on others, and in my opinion not worth the bother involved.

"That's not been my experience Mike."

A major problem when discussing various things is that our experiences and how we interpret them can differ massively.

east wind

Quote from: Mike Connor on June 12, 2013, 06:54:00 PM
A major problem when discussing various things is that our experiences and how we interpret them can differ massively.

Correct Mike, on most subjects in fishing we can only relate to personal experience. No point discussing things in absolutes.

Wildfisher

Quote from: east wind on June 12, 2013, 06:25:55 PM
It's aero dry wing for me now. The CDC when wrapped round a hook builds up not too bad a body though and those trailing fibers.......

I sometimes use McFlylon - what is different about aero dry wing, is it worth getting?

Darwin

Quote from: admin on June 15, 2013, 10:03:33 AM
I sometimes use McFlylon - what is different about aero dry wing, is it worth getting?
Here is a Product Description.  I have not seen it anywhere or know anyone that has used it. $9/10 per card, but I have read it is a good product.
Product Overview:
Polypropylene material in a flat configuration (like braid) for wings and parachute posts. The fibers have hollow chambers that result in a specific gravity of 0.68 (much lighter than water). It is non-absorbent, easy to work with and the material can be split for micro patterns.
  http://www.jsflyfishing.com/cgi-bin/item/SM-700458-0000/59000/Tiemco-Aero-Dry-Wing.html

Go To Front Page