News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

DHE v CDC/Elk

Started by east wind, May 18, 2013, 10:15:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

east wind

Quote from: admin on June 15, 2013, 10:03:33 AM
I sometimes use McFlylon - what is different about aero dry wing, is it worth getting?

It's much more expensive for a start Fred. I still have McFlylon but rarely use it now I just find it a bit stiff, perhaps alright for posts?. The aero dry wing seems to be softer and can be spread about more. It's when the fly is drifting I think this softness gives it a better appearance of life than McFlylon. The closest thing to CDC without the maintenance grief, that's my thinking anyway but I don't have experience of a wide range of materials.

I use the medium or dark dun, the stuff seems to reflect daylight making it light coloured and it easy to see and in the gloaming it changes to black and stands out a mile through the murk.
Listen son, said the man with the gun
There's room for you inside.

Wildfisher

Quote from: east wind on June 16, 2013, 01:01:05 PM
I use the medium or dark dun, the stuff seems to reflect daylight making it light coloured and it easy to see and in the gloaming it changes to black and stands out a mile through the murk.

I'll order some

east wind

Quote from: admin on June 16, 2013, 06:28:33 PM
I'll order some

As Darwin says it comes wrapped round a card and will last for a while. I double up or triple up the group of fibers as they come off the card to make enough for a wing. I use it for BWO's or other flies that size or smaller for the night fishing (a month late as well  :)) This is where the softness of the stuff is useful.
Listen son, said the man with the gun
There's room for you inside.

Go To Front Page