News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Woven Sedge

Started by scoobyscott, June 08, 2013, 09:29:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scoobyscott

I bought Ollie Edwards woven flies dvd a while back and finally got round to watching a bit last night. His flies are quality but bloody time consuming. Knocked this emerger up with the materials I had and quite pleased with the results. Its the first weave I've done and not as hard as I thought. Not totally convinced his patterns are worth the effort but worth trying to add another bow in my cap tying wise. Thanks for looking
[attachimg=1][attachimg=2][attachimg=3]

Traditionalist

Very nice and well done.  I have only used a few of Ollie's patterns regularly, ( and now usually use my own stuff anyway), even though most are quite good, many are just too complex and time consuming for me, and work no better than other simple stuff. Mostly I use my own stuff.

It's nice to learn a lot of techniques and material combinations etc, ( indeed I spent years doing it!), but I don't think it makes much difference to the fish. Once I have a successful pattern for a particular purpose I tend to stick to it. There was a time when I tried everything, but it is contra-productive, one just wastes time trying stuff that either doesn't work very well, or is no better than other stuff which is easier to dress anyway. Not a problem if you enjoy doing it.  Nowadays I tend to concentrate on stuff I know works and very rarely bother trying a lot of new stuff, ( unless I am trying to develop or improve one of my own patterns etc),  it is rarely better and often much worse than stuff I already use. Also I am fishing a lot less nowadays than I once did.

Many of his patterns can teach you a lot though. Most do work and they all look good ( to other anglers at least!) when correctly dressed.

This, although not from Ollie is one that I do use and it works pretty well;

Tying the McPhail Caddis Pupa by Davie McPhail.

I don't always use the same materials and techniques as shown by various dressers though.

Traditionalist

PS. I prefer to use green and amber versions of that fly, and on the green versions black nylon for the eyes.;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMNESIA-MEMORY-FREE-FISHING-LINE-12-LB-BLACK-SS08412-/120483323949?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c0d5da02d  you can get it in red as well for other stuff, at various places.

http://www.fba.org.uk/recorders/publications_resources/how_to/caddis/life-cycle/contentParagraph/0/image/Pupa.jpg

http://www.deltaflyfishers.com/Flyofmonth/2012/caddis%20pupa.jpg

the yellow ones don't work as well on my streams. You really need to check out what is useful on your own waters. Some colour combinations are quite deadly, others only work poorly if at all. I also put the partridge ( or a slip of feather like starling etc) at the FRONT of the thorax.

Robbie

Great tying, looks like it will take more that a few fish!

Go To Front Page