News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Foam Daddy SBS

Started by Wildfisher, June 22, 2013, 01:28:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

A simple foam daddy. This is a rough and ready tying that works. Dead easy, no bells and whistles I should have tied the foam in a bit closer to the eye. It  won't make much odds other than looking less pleasing to the eye the way I have done it. Fish don't care about things like that. My flies are tied with simplicity in mind and I never worry about what Wyatt rightly calls irrelevant "fly tying stuff".
Materials:
Thread - grey or tan – any non garish colour would do
Size 12 long shank hook – an ordinary hook would  be fine, just the body will be shorter
2mm strip of 2mm thick  tan foam
ginger cock hackle
flexifloss for legs – I have used olive – would have used brown or tan  if I had any – don't think it makes much odds

[attachimg=1]
Lay down a rough base of thread as shown. Don't worry about neatness.

[attachimg=2]
Tie in the foam strip at the eye and bind it down right to the end of the thread base.

[attachimg=3]
Securely tie in the hackle at the point where you estimate the foremost body segment will be then take the thread back to the bend.

[attachimg=4]
Pull the foam back over the hook and tie in at the bend as shown.

[attachimg=5]
Take the thread progressively, on the underside,  up towards the eye, tying the foam down in segments as you go. Stop when you have made the foremost body segment.

[attachimg=6]
Tie in the legs on each side

[attachimg=7]
Wind on the hackle  between the legs and tie off.

[attachimg=8]
Take the thread to the eye and whip finish.

You might want to clip the hackle underneath – Bob Wyatt style. This will make the fly sit lower in the water, but it will be harder to see.

You could also add a light dubbing of tan fur and make an under-body between steps 3 and 4. I think the most important thing is to keep it slim. Real daddies are skinny bugs.

Fishtales

Nice tying Fred.

As to sighting. Tie in the foam at the head and using the end as a post, tie in the legs at the side and the hackle then run the thread down the shank, tie down the foam body in open turns returning to the head, wrap the hackle around the post and tie off. The foam post would act as a sight indicator.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Wildfisher

That's right Sandy. You  can vary these simple tyings as you feel. I'd tie in a white yarn sighter just above the legs

Wildfisher

Here's a version with a sighting post and a light brown dubbed under-body. Slightly more fiddly to tie, but still simple ehough.

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]

Fishtales

Tying the hackle parachute style round the post would also make it lie on the surface rather than have to trim the hackle underneath to achieve this.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Wildfisher

shad

Was going to tie some of these but didnt have any flexifloss,so I nipped round my mates house to raid his huge collection of materials.Came away with 3 packets of wapsi stuff he had never used.On opening it up though its buggered, just falls to bits-I suppose flexiflos must degrade with time(these packs were about 12 years old he thinks).

Will need to splash out on some fresh stuff, just a warning if your looking to buy some.Probably best to go for a shop with good turnover if you can.

Wildfisher

That's a problem with tackle shops. Stuff can lie around for a long time, sometimes on display, before it's sold.  What you really have to be wary about is old nylon.

Wildfisher

That looks fine Jim, it will catch fish.  :D

scotty9

What's that foam like Fred? I bought some thin sheets from hobbycraft and it's crap, not all that buoyant, likely a bit too thin and probably not enough air contained in it.

Go To Front Page