News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Yellow May Dun

Started by east wind, July 06, 2013, 08:21:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

east wind

Anyone seen any? It must be 5 years or more since I saw good hatches of them. One or two barren seasons fair enough but its looking like another poor year unless they are well late and I'm wondering if there has been a more serious and longer lasting change.
Listen son, said the man with the gun
There's room for you inside.

Wildfisher

I saw a few on the Luther last month. The Don used to have loads but I have bot fished there this season so don't know if they were there in numbers

east wind

Quote from: admin on July 06, 2013, 09:32:43 PM
The Don used to have loads

Fred I used to see loads on the Clyde, big numbers during daytime that went largely untouched then another evening hatch that got a bit more attention.

It's not like they are hard to miss, I wonder whether conditions for them are not as they were 

Wildfisher

Quote from: east wind on July 06, 2013, 10:09:05 PM
It's not like they are hard to miss, I wonder whether conditions for them are not as they were

Too true - they are the most obvious of flies. Perhaps the cold spring has not been to their liking? I'll keep an eye out for them next time I'm on The Esk or Braan

scotty9

I've only seen a couple of them Mac, shame, regardless of the fishing they are fantastic to look at.

Wildfisher

The nymph of the Yellow May is a stone clinger, wonder it they got washed out during the big floods last December? 

east wind

Quote from: admin on July 06, 2013, 11:10:41 PM
The nymph of the Yellow May is a stone clinger, wonder it they got washed out during the big floods last December?

Fred what concerns me is the lack of them over the last five seasons at least. They fitted a gap in the fly cycles nicely, maybe its a victim of the trend towards more rain in general.

Wildfisher

Mac, thinking about this again - I have seen loads of them on The Tirry up by the Crask (in springtime  not at the September silverback pish up) in  past years. That river is subject to big and very sudden floods, so perhaps there is another reason.

Go To Front Page