News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Straight is Good - ????

Started by Bobfly, September 15, 2013, 05:42:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobfly

I have been pondering if there are any verified and proven evidence of hook shape advantages to the Up-eye Dry and Down-eye Wets tradition of hook choice. What is wrong with hook eyes simply being straight ahead ? I have been using a few hooks recently with straight eyes and they look fine and they seem to have the same effectiveness.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

burnie

It's going back a long time, but when I went to the factory in Redditch it was not just the way the eye went, but the wire gauge varied too. Up eyes to float were a thinner gauge than the sinking wets. Straight eyes were bait hooks that also had heavier gauge wire. Since then however lots of things have changed, but I do like straight hooks from forged wire for wets, especially Salmon singles(not that I use singles these days, prefer doubles).

Robbie

If I remember correctly Oliver Edwards does not like down eye hooks for nymphs as they don't swim correctly. Must say I've not worried about this level of detail but I can see his reasoning.

Bobfly

When I was thinking about this I wondered why there could be any advantage in the mechanics of the hooking between up or down or straight. Why should an up or a down eye be better for gaining and holding a hook hold?  :? :? :?

I have tied a few using Oliver Edwards nymph emerger hooks and the results are pleasing to look at and seem effective. Most sea fishing hooks and other bait hooks are straight ahead insofar as I can see from angling shops so why have fly hooks that have this tradition of up or down ??

Bobfly

Using the Turle knot accounts for the upturned eye for a salmon fly/hook and then a straight alignment from the leader - but for trout flies I don't see the need really - up or down.

Highlander

Not a can of worms but a subject with many difference of opinions probably more than any issue.
Not going to enter the debate simply because there is no one answer that is correct for everyone.
I still use down eye for my wets but what I do look for rather than eye alignment is a hook to suit he fly. Strength coupled with lightness is far more important that eye to my mind.
One thing I do miss is a Limerick bend which was a good hook for winged wets. Sproat is my preferred bend & if it has a slight outpoint (Alex Martin's patent) all the better.
Find the hook to suit the fly.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

dazzyd

I tie all my flies on down-eyed hooks and have no issues whether wet or dry patterns...

bibio1

I like straight eye for emergers and spinner patterns. Otherwise i'm not really phased. I also only use up eye hooks for the funnel dun.

Cheers

Paul

Go To Front Page