News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Do You Tie Your Own Flies?

Started by Wildfisher, December 23, 2013, 10:23:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do You Tie Your Own Flies?

Yes
No

Wildfisher

Just a small survey of members. If you do or don't can you say why?  How long have you been tying flies? What started or stopped you tying flies or have you never bothered?

Fishtales

I tye my own this is the forty fifth year of doing it :) The pal who taught me to fly fish also taught me to tye flies, it just seemed the thing to do at the time. It wasn't a concious decision it was just part of the learning experience. I don't tye much now just the odd one or two when I need them, I'm not hard on flies so they last quite a while, years in some cases :)
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

bushy palmer

Absolutely! 30 years now and I'm still learning!

River Chatter

Apart from those given to me, and the odd pattern purchased to copy later, my boxes are populated with my home-made efforts.  I've been tying pretty much as long as I've been fishing.  No real reason I started, it just seemed the done thing back then.  I'm glad I tie my own, as I can't imagine being happy relying on the shop bought flies, most of which are too heavily dressed for my liking.  I can't say I enjoy tying as much as I used to, and it very often feels like a chore, especially if I'm just retying favourite patterns.  The boredom factor's reduced when experimenting though and despite not being excited by tying these days, it is an important part of my fishy activities.  This year I've promised myself I'll be tidier and up my game with my tying.  Mostly because I've had a peek in other fly boxes and realise I've become a bit sloppy over the years compared to others.  Can't see me ever stopping tying my own until my health won't let me anymore.  Meantime I've some ideas for new patterns this year... well, I say new, but as we all know they'll just be variations of what's gone before. 

Bobfly

Yup. I tie them because I can make (more or less) what I want. No money is saved though, that's for sure, but a harmless pastime.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Bobfly

Thinking on ....... probably the main reason for tying my own, aside from the pastime and enjoyment of it, is that I can use a finer and better quality of hook and choose what I want. The finer the hook the better the hook-up. Just the same as the difference between an injection with a thick needle or a fine narrow bore one.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Robbie

I've been tying my own flies for seven or eight years now. Initially I fell into the trap of thinking I could save money. Soon realised that flytying was costing a lot more than buying flies. I continued tying for a few reasons including being able to tie flies the way you like them, complying patterns not available in shops and tweeting patterns making your own flies.

There is also a little added satisfaction to catching fish on flies you have tied yourself. I now also enjoy tying as a hobby in its own right, there is something satisfying about tying a nice fly and enjoy learning new techniques and styles.

I had considered tying flies to sell as a minor side line and fund tackle purchases, but it's just not worth it and making an enjoyable hobby work take most of the fun out of it.

sinbad

Used to get the vice out and make some up but I'm colour blind and often ended up with not quite what i intended. Shop bought mostly now. Maybe i could work out a better system and have another go as Ive one or two great flies that i just never see in the shops.

Rabmax

By tying my own i can experiment & try to match my observations better.I could never understand why my hares ear cased caddis wasn't more effective.I then done a few kick samples & every river i fish they have a greenish almost black case.I started tying the case with peacock herl or black peacock dubbing.It's one of my top nymphs now & catches almost year round.

I never leave home without cased caddis now.Cheers All

Hill loch gold

I learned to tie basic wets (bibios, peter ross, zulus etc) when i was in my early teens and to be honest i've never really progressed from there. Sometimes i've not tied a flea for several years, then if i take the notion i'll maybe tie 20 or 30 over a couple of weeks. I would say i'm still a novice tyer but i have caught some good troot on ma own fleas. The vast majority of all my boxes are made up of fleas i've bought over the years. I'm hoping to tie some fleas up before the start of the new season though.

Go To Front Page