News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Do You Tie Your Own Flies?

Started by Wildfisher, December 23, 2013, 10:23:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do You Tie Your Own Flies?

Yes
No

Billy

I made my first vice 30 odd years ago but just really played at it and did not have much money to spend on feathers and the like.

I have a decent set up now and probably too much gear but I enjoy catching on flies I have tied by myself. Over the last couple of years I have intended to tie some salmon flies but I cant pull myself away from trout.

Billy

lnelson20

My Dad taught me when i was a youngster and have been tying for about forty years now,its fair to say i got to a certain level within a few years and never really progressed much after that.Some flies i wouldn't even attempt and for every five i tye i usually make an arse of one :D Tying what i need rather than enjoyment for me.

Chris. :D
c.nelson

Highlander

My dad took me to Fly Tying lessons in Govan High (Late 50s)when I was a wee boy.
My mum said it was "to keep me off the streets" Certainly did not do me any harm.
One of my instructors I believe was Tom Stewart of "100 Popular Flies so I had a good beginning.
First "fly cabinet" was an Oxo tin with a few bits & bobs in it. I still tie but only occasionally as the mood takes me. Sometimes I am as good as it gets & other times pish. I tend to stick to what I know & like. Wets especially Clyde Style, loch patterns & river spiders. Hairwinged Salmon & Dapping flies I like tying but have more than enough in boxes that I do not need any more.
Saves Money? I think not but worth while to know the basics at least.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

rannoch raider

An uncle bought me the basic Veniards 'box' when I was about eleven. Started from there and taught myself from books , magazines and videos back then. Still learning from the internet and other anglers these days. Haven't bought a fly for long time now. I don't do it to save money because it is bloody expensive! I just like my patterns to have a look that pleases me and the fish and I'm a bit fussy about flies that are too thin, too thick, too long, too stiff, etc, etc, etc.  Anyone who ties their own will know what I mean.

haresear

I've been tying since I was about 14/15 shortly after I started fly fishing.

I've never gone to tying classes (it shows) but that said my flies don't fall apart and they catch fish well enough. I do though get slightly embarrassed when someone looks in my fly box of scruffy creations. They might be scruffy, but they aren't overdressed, unlike most shop bought flies.

I do however buy some flies. Some of those are to copy and some are simply bought through bone laziness when I can't be bothered to tie something like an articulated streamer or a turks tarantula. I have a huge stock of bought flies as back-ups, but 90% of the time I'll be fishing my own flies. 

Alex
Protect the edge.

hopper

It's on a cold wet windy day like today I get to the vice and start tying, I enjoy tying wet for the lochs and rivers but will turn my hand to anything. When the fishing tackle is stored away the tying keeps you in touch with the trout season to come.

keithfish

Made my own flies for the last 30yrs or so not things of beauty, but they work sometimes. As a few posts have pointed out its not a way to save money, but I find myself only having to buy hooks these days  having already bought everything I might need. :roll:     

Inchlaggan

Another bottomless pit to pour your hard-earned cash into under the misguided belief that you are saving money, creating whumper-catchers, purposefully occupying the long dark nights of the close season and other bullshit.
Like Fred, I have the Anvil Apex, a very nice vice at a mere £100, but seeing his review of the Caimore it seems I need that as well.
That and a few (say a dozen, gosh, special offer on, free postage on orders over £XXX, better make that 20) genetic capes,  and then there is that new thread now available in 30 colours, and the professional dubbing and.......................
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

scoobyscott

Started tying shortly after my first few months of fishing. Was sick of spending a pound a fly then losing it up a tree that day. Thought it would be cheaper then started buying every material for the " next killer" fly published in mags. :shock: I get as much enjoyment tinkering with patterns as I do fishing sometimes and Im better at tying than fishing. Go through phases where I get scunnered and won't  tie for a few weeks.
No better buzz than finding yourself up against it on the river, going home knocking something up and it works next time. Probably a coincidence   :lol:

aliferste

Yes, tie my own flies but it is purely for functional reasons. In other words I do not seek out patterns to tie up as I have a fairly standard list of flies that I use all the time:comparaduns, klinks, f flies and PTN all in various colors and sizes.

Alistair

Go To Front Page