News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Do You Tie Your Own Flies?

Started by Wildfisher, December 23, 2013, 10:23:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do You Tie Your Own Flies?

Yes
No

corsican dave

yes. and no.

saltwater flies are so ridiculously expensive it is (once you've bought the basic gear  :roll:) actually cheaper to make your own. plus as john says, many of the commercially available flies aren't meant for this country and/or are way over-dressed.

however, i'm blowed if i can weave a decent polish nymph and as for tiny, perfectly formed dries, well i'd rather let the pros do that! salmon flies are another matter: money for old rope as they've gotta be the easiest things to start tying.

i also love the innovation of the american tyers, which inspires me. i recently made some great pike/swff poppers and sliders out of some foam earplugs supplied to the welders at work.

merry fishmas to everyone, btw! :D
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Clan Chief

Yes I tie. Just for the enjoyment of it. Learned to tie at my local angling club tying classes.

bibio1

Fly tying is an affliction but if you want to do serious imitative river fishing you need to do it. I enjoy it in small doses but the real affliction is the amount of unnecessary materials  you accumulate.

Cheers

Paul

jaybee

I have tied my own flies for over 35years. Basically I tie what works for me with variations as new materials come on the market. However I will purchase flies for specific purposes if I do not have the basic materials.

Have a great Christmas and all the best to forum members for 2014

JB

east wind

I can see bits of my own experience from several posters. Been tying for around 20 years, I had been thinking about it as I was moving  back towards rivers after a long lay off. Bought flies were too general and bulky. The final shove was being gifted a box of materials and other things from a mate. His father in law had died and stuff had to be shifted. Amazing collection of quality traditional materials, some stuff I returned such as a vintage all wooden fly reel.

Anyway I joined the Bert Sharpe's tying classes and was shown the ropes to an exact standard. Fair to say that standard has slipped since I stopped going, I did a decent line in Clyde wets, and I just go my own scruffy way. Only a few from the good pages survive. I need to tighten up a bit.

I have started buying the odd pattern again, things I'm not too clever at. Czech nymphs, parachutes, micros and others. Tying is mostly a chore but I do like to look at half a dozen decent efforts after an intense night at the vice.

One thing though, once I worked out exactly what was needed and tied accordingly, my success rate shot up.
Listen son, said the man with the gun
There's room for you inside.

Lochan_load

I've always fished but when I started fly fishing at about 12 my granpa gave me a couple of vices and a tin of feathers, he said I should learn young because by the time he started his fingers were all thumbs and he gave up! I pretty much self taught, I just messed about until I made one pattern which was just grey seals fur, teal wing and brown hen hackle. It caught me a lot of browns and a few grayling on my local river (nith) so I basically just tied that for years  :roll:
I didn't tie for years but got a veniard kit for Christmas 3 years ago and got started again. I only fish my own flies now, it's expensive way of saving money but passes the time in the winter, I basically fill a box in the winter and only tie to replace successful patterns in the summer...there's too much fishing to do then!!

mackiia1

I tie some of the easier patterns - and get some from a professional fly tier who I know - I don't buy from shops these days as they are usually rubbish.
Its a great feeling to get fish on your own flies and as you say . its cheaper.
I normally leave it until the last minute but my new years resolution is to be more organised this year.
I start tomorrow evening.
Ian

Part-time

Quote from: Lochan_load on January 03, 2014, 12:44:40 AM
I've always fished but when I started fly fishing at about 12 my granpa gave me a couple of vices and a tin of feathers, he said I should learn young because by the time he started his fingers were all thumbs and he gave up! I pretty much self taught, I just messed about until I made one pattern which was just grey seals fur, teal wing and brown hen hackle. It caught me a lot of browns and a few grayling on my local river (nith) so I basically just tied that for years  :roll:
I didn't tie for years but got a veniard kit for Christmas 3 years ago and got started again. I only fish my own flies now, it's expensive way of saving money but passes the time in the winter, I basically fill a box in the winter and only tie to replace successful patterns in the summer...there's too much fishing to do then!!
Almost the identical tying history as me :D
I never really got into it and able to make identifiable patterns until 4 or 5 years ago. I got hold of a new vice but the biggest help was the advice to decide what patterns you want to tie and then buy materials you need to do it - still manage to buy a fair bit of random stuff however :)

Midgie Hater

Well, looks like i'm in a minority of people who don't! However i'd very much like to learn at some point but will obviously need to get the basic kit together first. I was thinking about starting this off-season but given the forthcoming move abroad I thought it was better to wait. Our local angling shop proprietor runs tying classes for a fiver a pop although I think you may need to supply your own materials for it. Not sure.

Would those of you with experience say it was better to learn from observing an experienced tier rather than attempting to pick up the basics from a book? I suspect the answer to this (as in many things) will be yes but figured i'd ask anyway :)

mackiia1

Quote from: Midgie Hater on January 03, 2014, 01:11:33 PM
Well, looks like i'm in a minority of people who don't! However i'd very much like to learn at some point but will obviously need to get the basic kit together first. I was thinking about starting this off-season but given the forthcoming move abroad I thought it was better to wait. Our local angling shop proprietor runs tying classes for a fiver a pop although I think you may need to supply your own materials for it. Not sure.

Would those of you with experience say it was better to learn from observing an experienced tier rather than attempting to pick up the basics from a book? I suspect the answer to this (as in many things) will be yes but figured i'd ask anyway :)
Lessons from a good fly tier are probably the best way to learn the basics but you can learn from books and Youtube - I have never had lessons but then again I don't try to tie anything too complicated. But I can tie reasonably good wet flys and nymphs.
There are plenty of videos on Youtube which give great instruction - Davie McPhail does some great videos .
Start of with some simple patterns - wets / spiders , and as you get better you could then move on to more difficult patterns.
If you have the time ( and the patience ) you should be surprised what a bit of practice will do.
Best of luck

Go To Front Page