News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Do You Tie Your Own Flies?

Started by Wildfisher, December 23, 2013, 10:23:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do You Tie Your Own Flies?

Yes
No

haresear

I learned from books myself and didn't find any great problem in getting the basics right, but I'm sure by sitting with a good tier you would pick up lots of tips and short cuts more quickly.

Youtube has lots of great tying videos, Davie McPhail's videos in particular being really clear and he shows how to tie a huge range of patterns and styles.

Late edit: mackiia1 beat me to the punch :)

Alex
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

Good advice there from Ian and Alex.

I learned a lot by  watching Davie McPhail vids, not so much patterns, but techniques and while I'll never be that skilled it helped a lot in understanding how to go about things.

Buanán

Aye, Davie McPhail watched a few of his vids myself and used a few of his patterns. I'm not really a fly tier more a flat tyre, but I get by and I catch the odd fish.

But it's still too early and I'm trying to keep the mania at bay for another couple of months before I get the vice out.   

Midgie Hater

Thanks for the speedy advice folks :) I'll bookmark Mr. McPhail for future reference. (oh and LOL Buanan ;) )

Although this isn't the point of the thread, while we're all here: considering i'm on a tight budget at the moment what do you think the minimum workable outlay would be? I've looked at the odd vice and prices vary wildly. Obviously I would want/need to start off with a cheap one. Apart from anything else I might find i'm rubbish at it!  :lol:  I've seen the basic Veniard starter kit which someone mentioned earlier. Would that and said cheap vice be all I needed to give it a go?

Midgie Hater

...oh and i've just noticed (never having really explored the tying section before) that there are some very handy "stickies for starters" on here. I'll have a mooch. Excellent resource i'm sure :)

Wildfisher

The  Veniard starter kit would be fine. Does it not come with some instruction too?

Midgie Hater

Thanks Fred. Now you mention it I think it does, although I only know this from looking at the listing in the Fastmail Tackle catalogue which makes mention of this. Cheers again.

mackiia1

Quote from: Midgie Hater on January 03, 2014, 01:42:02 PM
Thanks for the speedy advice folks :) I'll bookmark Mr. McPhail for future reference. (oh and LOL Buanan ;) )

Although this isn't the point of the thread, while we're all here: considering i'm on a tight budget at the moment what do you think the minimum workable outlay would be? I've looked at the odd vice and prices vary wildly. Obviously I would want/need to start off with a cheap one. Apart from anything else I might find i'm rubbish at it!  :lol:  I've seen the basic Veniard starter kit which someone mentioned earlier. Would that and said cheap vice be all I needed to give it a go?
If I was starting out from scratch I would buy a cheap set up tools - vice , bobbin holders , hackle pliers etc. - but I would stay away from a fly tying materials kit as you will end up with lots of stuff you may never use. Far better in my opinion to buy the basic capes . seals furs , threads , hooks etc. that will suit the type of flies you wish to tie. You can then add to this basic stock of materials as you see fit. Keep it simple would be my advice.

Midgie Hater

Ah, the beauty of the internet forum - contrary opinions to mull over :D Thanks. I did wonder that about the Veniard kit. According to the promotional blurb the kit appears to lean towards "new" materials rather than the traditional although I think it contains some of that too. Hmmm, will have to think a bit more about this than I figured. Thanks Mackiia1! (that wasn't sarcasm btw! The thoughts are appreciated :) )

mackiia1

Quote from: Midgie Hater on January 03, 2014, 01:57:35 PM
Ah, the beauty of the internet forum - contrary opinions to mull over :D Thanks. I did wonder that about the Veniard kit. According to the promotional blurb the kit appears to lean towards "new" materials rather than the traditional although I think it contains some of that too. Hmmm, will have to think a bit more about this than I figured. Thanks Mackiia1! (that wasn't sarcasm btw! The thoughts are appreciated :) )
A basic fly tying tool kit is more than fine but looking at some of the materials kits I can see lots of synthetics and stuff for making rainbow trout lures. Probably not much use to you.

Go To Front Page