News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Do You Tie Your Own Flies?

Started by Wildfisher, December 23, 2013, 10:23:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do You Tie Your Own Flies?

Yes
No

Wildfisher

mackiia1

Spot on - all the tools you need to start at low cost.

Hen Capes that I would buy for wets / spiders would include

Greenwell's / Furnace
Red Game
Black
Badger
Blue Dun

I can tie all my spring wets / spiders with those. Should be able to get those for £4 or £5 a piece

Midgie Hater

Ah so the Veniard kit does look like a non-starter then, if it's aimed at the stockie-basher market (*shudders* :worried ). Thanks for the heads-up on that Ian and Fred.

Thanks for the links Fred - that is indeed cheap! I'll save them in my Ebay watch list for future reference :)

Of course, although I would have been thinking of learning to tie a few basic wets for use in Scotland, with my move to the Pacific NW some time this year the emphasis will change although i'm sure a few patterns will "cross over". More food for thought, and no doubt i'll be bugging (see what I did there. Er, anyway...) you all for further advice on that and tying in general once I get going :)

Btw I had a (brief) gander at the "What have you tied today?" thread - which must surely be the same age as the forum itself! You folks are extremely talented. If I can reach a standard that even touches on that I will be a happy chap indeed. However, I need to walk (crawl, shuffle) before I run.

Oh, just noticed your later post Ian. Thanks. I'll make a note of that list :)

Thanks again :)

mackiia1

Quote from: Midgie Hater on January 03, 2014, 02:27:46 PM
Ah so the Veniard kit does look like a non-starter then, if it's aimed at the stockie-basher market (*shudders* :worried ). Thanks for the heads-up on that Ian and Fred.

Thanks for the links Fred - that is indeed cheap! I'll save them in my Ebay watch list for future reference :)

Of course, although I would have been thinking of learning to tie a few basic wets for use in Scotland, with my move to the Pacific NW some time this year the emphasis will change although i'm sure a few patterns will "cross over". More food for thought, and no doubt i'll be bugging (see what I did there. Er, anyway...) you all for further advice on that and tying in general once I get going :)

Btw I had a (brief) gander at the "What have you tied today?" thread - which must surely be the same age as the forum itself! You folks are extremely talented. If I can reach a standard that even touches on that I will be a happy chap indeed. However, I need to walk (crawl, shuffle) before I run.

Oh, just noticed your later post Ian. Thanks. I'll make a note of that list :)

Thanks again :)
Where in the Pacific NW are you off to - I fished in BC , Canada a few years back - what a location ?

Midgie Hater

Well, my wife is from Washington State although she works in Portland, Oregon, so we'll probably end up somewhere SE of Portland if we can find a reasonable rented property there. Although the move is somewhat bitter-sweet since it's been forced by the fact my wife couldn't get a spouse visa to remain in the UK, it can't be denied that the opportunities for wilderness wandering and of course fishing are something of a blow-softener! ;) So yes, despite the unfortunate driving factor for the move i'm sure i'll find a few things to do out there :)  And yes, i've heard BC is amazing too. Visits to Canadee-i-o will definitely be on-the-cards!

Cheers again for the advice. Les

Lochan_load

It was me who mentioned the veniard kit but it wasn't a recommendation, it was a Christmas present and althought it got me started again It was pretty poor, the vice was poor and I replaced that and most of the tolls pretty quickly, the bobbin holder is the only thing I still use, and as has been stated the materials were mainly aimed at lures. My advice would be to get a solid vice at around £25-30 that'll be adequate and then some basics-black thread 8/0, bobbin holder, hackle pliers, a couple of Indian capes ( cheap to get started) and some peacock, some dubbing and a couple of tinsel/wires. Start doing some simple wets and build from there, you'll soon find plenty of materials you want to buy! You can also scavenge plenty round the house too, wool, old jumpers dug hair! It's a great way to pass the winter hours and nothing quite like thinking up a pattern, Tying it and landing a fish.

Suki1312

I think most people start with a kit of some description , but once your tying gets better , you quickly buy better tools etc . If you are serious about learning get decent tools from the off and just buy materials for whatever type of flies you use . Be warned it becomes a dear hobby , but it gets me through many a winter night  :D
Every day is a school day

Kenster197

Quote from: Bobfly on December 23, 2013, 11:15:24 AM
Yup. I tie them because I can make (more or less) what I want. No money is saved though, that's for sure, but a harmless pastime.

"No money is saved"? I thought it would be much cheaper. I take it with the online availability and price of flies now that's not the case?
So do most folk tie their own for the pleasure of catching whilst using you're own tied flies, the flexibility for new designs and design tweaks and just the fact it's another string to the bow in the overall hobby? I've got an unused kit that I'm hoping to start / learn to use, but I thought that in the long term it would save money as well as give me some enjoyment.

Kenny 

Fishtales

Most, if not all, of my flytying gear and materials I bought between thirty and forty years ago so in the long run I have saved money tying my own. I only tie what I need and when I need them. I have also picked up various bits and pieces from other places like wool, tinsel, wire etc. The hooks I am using I also bought forty years ago and the only ones I have replaced are the #12 and #14's and that was probably fifteen years ago :) Some seal fur colours have also been replaced but again that would be fifteen or so years ago. I tend to buy the biggest option I can, large bags and hooks in hundreds. I will also reuse hooks where the materials have become loose or have been torn apart by fish or vegetation. I have stuff in my box that hasn't seen the light of day in decades, flies too for that matter :)
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Go To Front Page