News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

vices clamp or pedestal ?

Started by garryh, December 30, 2013, 03:57:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garryh

i have always used vices that clamp to the bench,reasoning that they are far more stable than pedestal ones.due to a bit of an unexpected windfall i have been looking at a Snowbee Waldron ,but they don't seem to make clamp models anymore.so i would welcome any opinions from forum members on the pro's and con's of either type.

cheers Garry
Education is important.
But fishing is importanter

Wildfisher

I was the same Garry, wondered about stability,  but since I got  pedestal vice 5 years or so ago  I would never use a clamp vice again. The pedestal is just far more versatile and easier.

haresear

I have pedestal model.
http://www.fishingmegastore.com/dynaking-kingfisher-vice~3127.html

The reason I went for a pedestal is that I don't have a dedicated tying table, so have to dig out the stuff and tie where I can, usually on one of those lap tray things. I have had no problems with stability of the vice, but the arm/leg is a wee bit short and that takes a bit of getting used to.

Alex

Protect the edge.

Inchlaggan

Pedestal, for the reasons above, plus you can rest your elbows on the table and have a light/magnifier between you and the flee.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Highlander

As I see it.

The Pro's & Cons (Clamp)
Certainly more stable than a pedestal. If you have a fixed tying area & by that I mean a table where you 100% of the time tie at then the clamp is ideal. Not to say the pedestal is not but more than than later. You can adjust the height using a clamp something you can not with pedestal. Other than "table thickness" I do not see any cons with a clamp

Pro's & Cons (Pedestal) 
Ideal if you travel about, hotel,shows, tying class etc etc. You will encounter odd thickness tables where it might not be suitable for a clamp. Weight would have to be sufficient though that  does not cause you to move the vice about easily. I carry a wee bit of thin rubber matting for that purpose though most pedestal have some sort of felt/rubber bottom. Main grip for me is not being able to adjust height of vice stem but you can certainlytie with a pedestal.

Solution is simple get both, I have Most good vices either come with that or there is option to purchase extra. If not then I believe the standard shaft size is 3/8" so should be easy enough to buy one on it's own. I have seen them advertised.
I am not saying one is right & one wrong,If you are happy with either fine stick with it.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

River Chatter

I've been using a pedestal vice for years and it's been fine.  I've recently bagged myself a Snowbee Waldron pedestal version, which I'm very happy with so far.  Nicely made and it comes in a useful bag that will also hold some flytying materials for when you're out and about.  The rotary function seems smooth and predictable too.  There is a section of shaft that screws on to make it higher.  I've been using this to see if I can get used to the extra height and all's good so far.  I've noticed that the extra height discourages me from slouching while tying - a bad habit of mine.

Wildfisher

My new pedestal vice is quite low, but height adjustment is dead easy. Here's a step by step.   :lol:

[attachimg=1]
Step 1

[attachimg=2]
Step 2

[attachimg=3]
Step 3

Bobfly

I always go with the pedestal type. You can lift up everything, fly and bobbin included and move it if you want. You can have some materials between you and the vice. Stability seems to be no problem. I have some patches of magnetic wipe-clean vehicle signage on the pedestal base for laying a few hooks and it all seems much more handy than being forced back from the table by the vice being on the outside edge.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Robbie

You may find that your current clamp may fit your new vice, so going with the pedestal will give you both options.

My current vice had a clamp, as I am fortunate enough to have a dedicated tying table, however my previous vice had a pedestal. To be honest I have not noticed any real difference tying on either foundation.

corsican dave

wee bit off subject, but since you mentioned travelling, i've found the lifeventure washbag shown here
http://www.lifeventure.co.uk/products/washgear/wash-bags.html

to be perfect for a travelling tying kit. the hypalon sleeve holds all your sharp tools, there's bags of space for materials etc and you can even fit a broken down vice in. WAY cheaper than the fishpond or orvis equivalents and packs away in the corner of rucsack or suitcase.
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Go To Front Page