News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

So What Would You Call This?

Started by Wildfisher, January 03, 2014, 01:24:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

I have rediscovered this Whiting genetic cape I forgot I had. It's like a cross between grizzle / cree / red game / ginger. It's pretty nice actually and would make a goof Adams hackle  by itself.

Has this feather colour got a name? The color looks different in these two photos, but it's somewhere between the two

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]

Wildfisher

It's a belter for sure Andy and only a "bronze grade"  cape. Imagine forgetting I had that.  I have far too much stuff.  :roll:

sculpin_crusader

It would likely be called medium or dark barred ginger, fairly standard cape colour but you'll find it's somewhat lacking if you use it as the only hackle for an Adams.

Wildfisher

I thought it might replace the two hackle grizzly + red game.  I'll tie one or two up and do a comparison.

sculpin_crusader

In all honesty even genuine cree doesn't look as good as the grizzly/red game combo. You might like it of course but those flies I've seen tied with a cree, the colours aren't defined enough, the bars have no distinction.

Wildfisher

There is something that makes the Adams and extraordinarily effective fly, so you might be right. Perhaps it's the broken outline of the grizzle / brown hackle combo. I always use the Adams as a parachute, so arguably the broken outline effect might be even more important. I'll tie up a few of both. These things are difficult to quantify, and a seed of doubt once planted can be  disastrous to fishing confidence.  :lol:

sculpin_crusader

Try it, you might like it!! My main use for the Adams style is as a klinkhåmer, though I will be making an effort to catch with other styles of Adams.

garryh

Education is important.
But fishing is importanter

Wildfisher

bibio1

It does look good. Amazing how the world is such a small place. That cape in California is a good price.

What would the world be.like without computers or the web. 1950 probably.

Go To Front Page