News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Wide Gape Hooks

Started by Wildfisher, January 05, 2014, 09:51:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Anyone use wide gape hooks and do you think they hold fish any better?  I notice in the Davie McPhail videos he uses them a fair bit.  For example: hooks that have size 16 shank length but a size 14 gape.

mackiia1

Quote from: admin on January 05, 2014, 09:51:40 PM
Anyone use wide gape hooks and do you think they hold fish any better?  I notice in the Davie McPhail videos he uses them a fair bit.  For example: hooks that have size 16 shank length but a size 14 gape.
I use B160 for most of my wet fly/ spider patterns - I like the short shank and wide gape - a lot of guys down here tie on a B175 but I prefer B160 as I think it gives a better profile to the fly. One of my local rivers is now barbless only so currently looking for barbless hooks similar to the B160.
Me and a friend lost a few good fish on Corrib last year while Caenis fishing and we put it down to the narrow gape of the flies we were using - this year we are going to use the same patterns but on a wider gape hook - hopefully we see a big difference
Ian

haresear

I like wide gapes for beadheads and for bulky bodied flies. I feel the dressing or the beadhead can hinder hooking and the wide gape helps counteract that. Whether I am right or not, I don't know and I couldn't say whether they hold fish better than a standard gape.

What I am sure of though is that I lose a lot more fish on really long shanked hooks.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Highlander

Wide gape has been around in various forms for many years. Good example is the Capt Hamilton range from Partridge.
Do they hold fish better, I have no idea, Some may say so & some have no opinion one way or t'other. At best subjective. I went through my Capt Hamilton period many years ago. Never noticed one way or other if the "were better" why? because I was too busy fishing to spend even if I wanted to the merits or otherwise of the shape.
Whats the best hook. I''ll tell you the ones I like.
The old Alex Martin "outpoint" style was a good hook to my mind, a concept much copied m in Salmon hooks like the Esmond Drury range  today.
For wet flies I liked the old Limerick bend but today I rely on a Sproat shape which I think is a nice compromise between the older Limerick & a standard round bend. I try to get a compromise between hooking & strength. No point in a fine wire hook that hooks OK only to straighten with minimum pressure, a problem I found with certain Tiemco hooks a while back. Like wise a reversed or sneck bend may be someones cup of tea but the few times I used them I saw no advantage one way or other.
Only hook I have really had problems with is the TMC 200R whilst looks good on a fly such as sedge or stonefly nymph is inherently a poor hooker. Likewise Long shank hook can be poor hookers if not for barb but the fact that the shank is so darn long so leverage will play a factor I reckon.
Too heavy a gauge whilst strong throws up it own set of problems.
A selection of hook styles to suit the fly type I am using, is what I strive for. There are numerous hooks out there many of which I have not tried & I dare say some of them are good so I will leave it to others to bring their thoughts to the fore.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Wildfisher

Quote from: mackiia1 on January 05, 2014, 10:02:29 PM
Me and a friend lost a few good fish on Corrib last year while Caenis fishing and we put it down to the narrow gape of the flies we were using - this year we are going to use the same patterns but on a wider gape hook - hopefully we see a big difference

That's interesting Ian. These things can be difficult to quantify, but mind and tell us how it goes.

Wildfisher

Quote from: haresear on January 05, 2014, 10:06:35 PM
What I am sure of though is that I lose a lot more fish on really long shanked hooks.

Me too, far more. The number of really big fish I have lost on streamers has been a bit depressing.  That's the subtext of this thread. Has losing fish got anything to do with the gape - shank length ratio?

Wildfisher

Quote from: Highlander on January 05, 2014, 10:27:04 PM
Do they hold fish better, I have no idea, Some may say so & some have no opinion one way or t'other. At best subjective.

That's interesting Alan. It is really  difficult to quantify these things. There are so many variables. Like Alex I can say absolutely  that I lose more fish on long shank hooks and as I said above I was wondering if it had anything to  do with the ratio of shank length to hook gape.

haresear

QuoteOnly hook I have really had problems with is the TMC 200R whilst looks good on a fly such as sedge or stonefly nymph is inherently a poor hooker.

I hate those things. I tried flaring the point out with forceps and that helps.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

The absolute worst holding hooks (non streamer) I have used are Partridge Extreme Klinkhamer, though oddly enough  I have had quite few big fish (3 to 5 lb) on them in New Zealand and they held them well enough. It's wee fish at home that seem to drop off more. I always fish barb-lees, so perhaps that has something to  do with the weight being insufficient to get and keep a good hold. Joe had the same issues with these hooks and stopped using them.

Suki1312

Fulling mill have been coming out with some superb barbless hooks of late , don't ask me the code for them lol , but I've been getting mine from Lathkill and they have a short shank and wider gape . I've found I have been losing less fish or it might just be luck who knows  :D
Every day is a school day

Go To Front Page