News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Wonder wings

Started by Rabmax, January 14, 2014, 12:47:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rabmax

Hello all wondering if anyone ties & fishes these type flies.I am not that clued up with entomology i just try to copy what i see.Every year on one river i fish i see fairly large hatches of what i thing is a little greyish black stonefly about mid April time.I came across this pattern that looks like it would be pretty close in a size 16. Tying the spent stone fly wonder wing with Johnny Utah
Any one know how durable this type wing is.Is it only a one or two fish fly before it's buggered.Cheers All

Lochan_load

Does look like it would get chewed up pretty quick and looks like it would be fiddly to get the 'wing' looking good, you can achieve some thing similar by varnishing something like a partridge or pheasant feather and then cutting it to size/shape once it's set, might be bit more durable too....might get 3 fish off one!! ;)

Highlander

Natural could be a Grannom Sedge rather than a Stonefly. Colouration/time of year fits in with former.
As to your question, have never used this method. Have a few in a box that came from the States. They use them for caddis/stonefly imitations more so than here I believe. Wing does look a bit suspect as for durability. Must give couple of mine a go to see how they shape up.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Go To Front Page