News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

UV Resin Yet No Mortgage Required

Started by Wildfisher, January 20, 2014, 04:28:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaybee

I have used bug bond since it came on the market and I find it an excellent material particularly for epoxy buzzer bodies. I agree with Garryh however in that the finish may not be all that brilliant but I always finish my buzzers with a couple of coats of varnish.

Jim

Clan Chief

Funny you should bring this up as I got a deer creek resin kit at the weekend from my local angling shop. Johnny sold me it for£20. Still ridiculasly priced for what it actually is but cheaper than other outlets. I just got it out of curiosity as I have no great need for it. It was great for tying butts on some patterns I tied over the weekend though.  I tied a few buzzers too and it was fantastic for that  but rarely fish that style.  I haven't used it all that much and the batteries appear to be draining very fast. I suppose rechargables would fix that problem. Appears to be a great product if you were to tie commercially due to the resin curing so fast.  For me it's just another accessory that I suppose is worth having as it will be handy when the need arises.

Wildfisher

Allan, I believe battery life is indeed an issue. I noted on one of Daie McPhail's vids that he mentioned he has  a mains adapter on his that screws into the end and replaces the batteries.

River Chatter

Quote from: garryh on January 20, 2014, 06:18:22 PM
i tried the expensive bug bond  stuff and was not impressed .no matter how long i put the torch on it ,it never went rock hard .always very slightly tacky.maybe you need the super expensive torch to set it rock hard .

Garry

I've used it for tying bonefish flies recently, but not shop bought - actually my youngest daughters nail varnish stuff.  It always ends up a little tacky after curing under uv, but that's easily sorted with a wipe of cotton wool soaked in nail polish remover. 

brown troot

Top stuff easy to work with and cracking value for money I would say this is better than bug bond. As said before the batteries don't last that long with the torch I don't like using the torch anyway I use a laser pen cures the resin faster

Highlander

I am reliably informed that this is the stuff to use. All that faffing about with torches  :roll:
More like Blue Peter than fly tying.  :lol:

http://www.boots.com/en/Sally-Hansen-Hard-as-Nails-Clear_853/

Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Stonepark

"Just My Tuppenceworth!"

brown troot

Spot on same as me got my pen of eBay to and like yourself I like the pen better than the torch

Wildfisher

Excellent! I'll try the supplied torch first then perhaps buy one of the lasers is it is not satisfactory.  At £5.40 it's not bad.

brown troot

Good choice Fred, try the torch 1st and if it's not for you give the pen a bash I just think the pen cures the resin a lot faster

Go To Front Page