News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

1st attempt at the basics.

Started by Kenster197, January 28, 2014, 09:42:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenster197

So I got the unused fly-tying kit out of the cupboard, loaded up numerous beginners tutorials on "You Tube" and decided to have a wee bash at learning some of the basics for an hour or two. Just repeatedly doing the initial tie-on, then tying on a feather, taking it off, tying it back on, and then the infamous whip-finish over and over again (the hook was about 4mm thick by the time I finished. As footery as it all was, I could kinda see how a lot of it (whip-finish especially) might just suddenly "click" through repetition. I did notice that the thread I was using seemed to be splitting into 3 or 4 individual strands as I was wrapping it around the hook, crap quality thread I presume? Anyway, stopped before I got too frustrated but looking forward to having another go tomorrow.

bushy palmer

I was introduced to flytying at a very early age. At first the whip finish was beyond me and hence I was at first shown how to finish the flies using the half hitch
Half Hitch

Some of my flytying "thread" in the brighter colours is actually floss and this tends to want to separate. For me it's not usually a problem but if I'm doing more delicate work and don't want it to split I'll rub on a little tying wax.

Suki1312

Could be utc thread your using it has a habit of splitting . Better with sheer 14/0 use it for trout or salmon flies very thin and strong as an ox .
Every day is a school day

Kenster197

Ahhh, Is tying wax likely to be the 50p sized orange block thing (about 1cm thick) that's in a wee bag in the kit unnamed?

The thread is UNI-thread W 6/0 (measured in yards so I'm guessing pretty old)

bushy palmer

Quote from: Kenster197 on January 28, 2014, 10:59:14 PM
Ahhh, Is tying wax likely to be the 50p sized orange block thing

That sounds about right.

Most threads are prewaxed these days but there are still occasions when you'll use it. It's handy for other things like dubbing very small flies but lets stick to the basics for now- try rubbing that up and down the thread a couple of times while the bobbin holder is hanging below the hook- that should stop your thread from splitting :D

Kenster197

bushy palmer

You're welcome- look forward to the pictures of your first offerings. :)

Go To Front Page