News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Whip finish by hand or with tool?

Started by Kenster197, January 30, 2014, 08:30:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenster197

As the title asks, do you guys use the whip finish tool or finish off by hand? And is there any reason to your choice other than feeling more comfortable doing it that particular way?

hopper

Normal wet flies I finish by hand, muddlers use the whip finish tool. sometimes can't find the tool in the mess but can always find my fingers.  :lol:

Suki1312

Always a tool so much easier to get the finished article .
Every day is a school day

Wildfisher

Always a tool for me, I find it  easier and more precise on small heads

Fishtales

I whip finish by hand. I could never get on with the tools Before I mastered the whip finish I just used a couple of half hitches but when I thought about it the whip finish is just a half hitch with more turns :)

I did this quick video. It looks awkward but I was reaching around a camera, magnifier light and standing to the side :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4YtAX4TI_Q
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Yardbent

i use a whip finish tool....and why not.!

but saw a video clip recently were the tier used a [hollow biro tube.?] to tie a series of half-hitches

looked fast and easy.!

Kenster197

Quote from: Yardbent on January 30, 2014, 09:08:48 PMbut saw a video clip recently were the tier used a [hollow biro tube.?] to tie a series of half-hitches

Just watched that video and had a go at it, jeez, that's the easiest thing to do, cheers

Clan Chief

When I was learning to tie I struggled so one day I went to the angling shop in Cumbernauld village to buy a whip finishing tool but the guy running the shop asked "why do you want one of those?" then he proceded to show me how to whip finish by hand and would't let me leave the shop until i was able to do it. It was a great help someone actually showing you in person rather than reading from books etc, [pre Youtube days] As that was how I learned, I still finish by hand.

Highlander

I always use the tool, I can do it by hand but I find the tool ideal especially on small hooks or on flies that the hackle/wing are encroaching on the eye. The tool makes placement of thread far easier than hand. Learn both ways, like riding a bike once you can do it you never forget.
One thing I never do now though I was taught in boyhood to do so is Half Hitch.
This finish can make a head lumpy & is to be avoided. I occasionally do sometime use one but only if I have a rest between flies to keep the tension Also on a Salmon Hair Wing I might use a couple of half hitches to "lock" or "position" the hair wing but other than that no.

Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

haresear

I use the tool, but they end up looking like I used the wrong tool. :)

Alex
Protect the edge.

Go To Front Page