News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Whip finish by hand or with tool?

Started by Kenster197, January 30, 2014, 08:30:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billy

I always use a tool just to try and keep the head neat.

I am also trying to squeeze my hands in behind a large mag-lite so space is at a premium.

I used to do it by hand but the tool is easier for me by far. I don't think my hands are as dextrous as they used to be and I have not got what you would call piano players fingers.

Billy

bushy palmer

I learned using the half hitch- but since learning to use the tool I am now more comfortable this way and use it 100% of the time. Maybe it's all in my head but I reckon I get a neater finish this way.

Highlander

QuoteMaybe it's all in my head but I reckon I get a neater finish this way.

It is not in your head by design you get a "better" finish with a whip finish.
Other than a possible "lumpy" look to the head with a half hitch I have found that the turns can come undone especially if you trim "close as" when finishing. A dab of head varnish helps to alleviate this happening but happen it can. When wet the threads can constrict even ever so slightly that the overlapping turn of the half hitch can "slip" out. This is something that will not happen with a whip finish. Now having said some still do a half hitch finish & are quite happy in doing so & so be it.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Stonepark

Tool for me, have a rotary one but initially the one I used for years was obtained through the Kilmaurs fly tying lessons and was the bottom half of a knitting needle for a handle, with two suitably shaped safety pins (heads cut off and whipped to handle) and did me for a very large number of years.
"Just My Tuppenceworth!"

east wind

By hand, that's how I was taught even though there is a tool in the box. Funny thing, I read this thread before starting out for this season and I was trying figure out how to work the whip finish. Could not remember what hand to use never mind what fingers.
I've just completed the first (pretty rough looking) flee and the whip finish came back out of nowhere. Happens every year.
Listen son, said the man with the gun
There's room for you inside.

Bobfly

I always put one single half hitch to hold things together and then do a tool finish or a few more half hitches or a hand whip finish whatever takes my fancy. But - always a single half hitch first so the job is held. I must have been raised with belt and braces !!
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

bibio1

I just cant use the tool. Ive been tying for almost 30 years and doing it by hand is second nature now. I have thw tool somewhere but never use it. If anyone wanta it let me know.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Wildfisher

Quote from: bibio1 on February 01, 2014, 02:45:34 PM
I just cant use the tool.

aye, Paul, I'd heard that.  :lol:

OK, sorry, that's my one and only tool quip.    :D

bibio1

Fred i have other people that do that for me.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Kenster197

having tried repeatedly to master the thompson whip finish tool and failing, I had resorted to finishing by hand. Then today I watched yet another video and noticed that the tool being used had the hook at the top facing 180' to the hook in the middle. On the tool I have the two hooks were basically at 90'. So, after a quick adjustment with a pair of pliers, I think I might have finally got the hang of the tool, a tiny wee twist of the top hook has made so much difference.

Go To Front Page