News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Anyone dyed deer hair?

Started by Lochan_load, February 18, 2014, 09:57:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lochan_load

I've got a couple of chunks of deer hair id like to dye, has anyone ever done it and how did you go about it?

Cheers

Lochan_load

Ok doke, I tried it once before and the dye just sat amongst the fibres and didn't dry, wiped straight off. Chances are I won't do it but What would you bleach it with?

Lochan_load

Ma wife tried dying her own hair with peroxide a few years back, it all fell of at the roots!! Not happy!
Not surprised it weakens the deer hair. If she's still got some kicking about I might have a bash on a small patch but like you say prob more hassle than it's worth. Was hoping someone might have a simple miracle method.....cheers for the info

Fishtales

Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Lochan_load

bibio1

I tried it. It was a disaster. Not worth the effort given a couple of pounds can get you a perfect coloured section.

lochgarryfisher

Haven't tried it myself yet but the consensus is it is not easy.  My plan was to degrease it very well but also use the much lighter hair round the belly which i am guessing you wont need to bleach?  As for the darker hair i was gonna try dying that black and again not bother bleaching as google says that leads to problems.  D.Mcphail has a video on dyeing.

Lochan_load

Hmmm aye sounds like it's pretty tough mark, plan was to dye a patch of each claret so would have one dark, one light. I'll look at the mcphail vid and the links sandy put up but votes are stacking up against ! That's it all cured and treated by the way, it's lovely stuff, the darker stuff in particular has loads of wee colour changes through it so should look great in the water :)

bibio1

Claret deer hair is hard to find. I got some.from Ireland but had to search long and hard for good stuff. Dun is also a hard colour to find.  Strange because I would have thought these colours would be popular.

Darwin

Deer hair has to be well cleaned with warm/hot soapy water to remove the oils, then follow the directions on Davie's video or other tutorials.  If the hair is taking the dye slowly I will cover the pot and leave it to soak as long as necessary, sometimes overnight.  Never allow the dye bath to get too hot with hair/feathers still on the skin or it may all fall off.  Below is roe deer and elk fur dyed with Jacquard or Veniard's acid dye.  Personally I want nothing to do with bleaching furs, I hate the chemical smell and prefer to use natural, white or professionally bleached items.

Go To Front Page