News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Anyone dyed deer hair?

Started by Lochan_load, February 18, 2014, 09:57:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darwin

After it reaches the colour you want, wash the item in warm soapy/synthrapol water until the water runs clear.  I also press the fur with a bit of weight on paper towels until the skin dries to keep it from curling. 
Don't store not fully dried fur in a zip-lock bags, it will rot.  Yup, I did this one.   :(

Wildfisher

That's  a nice colour. Might even dye my own greying head with it. Makes a statement. Something like,  look at me I'm mad.  :lol:

Lochan_load

You could be the Denis rodman of the fishin world Fred!!
Darwin have you done deer hair before? Mine seems to have gone a wee bit different, kind of like straw if that makes sense!? You'll see it in this pic, Is it normal?

Darwin

I dyed the items in my earlier post.  Not sure what you're referring to when you say 'like straw'.  The fur is hollow in some parts, some in the picture looks flat.  I don't know what would have caused that, can't say that I have ever looked as close as your photo.

lochgarryfisher

Just wondered if u have done a float test on the dyed hair Lochan?  Deer hair floats cos it is hollow, just wondering if it has gone "straw" like/ flat has it lost its float-iness?
Do you think excess heat could have caused the flatness?
If you do any more dyeing there is an excellent post here by "Traditionalist" several years ago i have just been reading.
Am waiting for my dyes to turn up in the post so i'm gonna be having a go at black, cinnamon and claret in the next few days, bought several cream hen capes too to play with.

Lochan_load

Not done a float test yet but suspect it will still float just maybe a bit less, not all the strands are dead flat just some, I've looked at some peoples muddlers on the 'other' site and seen a similar thing so not to worried, it's really good to work with. Think the damage was done when I put the dyed hair on a hot radiator so maYbe avoid that mate.  had great results with some pheasant tails and marabou and died an old cape and came up great, really brings the best out of them. Will definitely do it again and have a look at that thread

lochgarryfisher

Got my dyes this morning and all done. Read on the www that deer hair is difficult to dye... nonesense, was easy and well chuffed with the results.
Even the naturally dark hair took the dye well.  The pic doesn't do the colours justice.
The only thing i am not impressed with is i bought 2 cheap cream hen capes to dye too, and they are total pants but then for £3.99 i guess you get what you pay for.
[attachimg=1]

Lochan_load

I was expecting it to be a lot worse as well but pretty straight forward, also made the mistake of buying hen capes at £4, the skin was so brittle just fell apart! That's what I get for being a cheap skate!

Lochan_load

Ps your stuff look great, what's the yellowish one?

lochgarryfisher

Yeah well i fell in to the cheap skate hole too, some one from a well known angling shop convinced me they were ok, mutter mutter grumble anyway.
Cinnamon is the yellowy one although the naturally darker stuff went a kinda olive.
Like i said the pics really dont do the colours justice.
If u ever do black, triple the quanity of dye, i doubled it...not enough.

Go To Front Page