News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Online flies

Started by ten boaber, February 18, 2006, 11:23:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ten boaber

Can anyone suggest a couple of websites
for buying flies
I am about to start tying  but want to get some patterns
that will be oot o my range ( for a while at least ) :oops:
The new season is approaching and I am getting itchy hands!!!

Wildfisher

For run of the mill, “can’t be bothered  tying”  type of flies I use

http://www.selectafly-wales.co.uk/

Cheap, excellent service and reasonable quality.

Wildfisher

Quote from: JediI like this site , they are good quaility flies , very competitively priced and they are Scottish  :lol:  

http://www.fliesonline.co.uk/

Cheers

Jim

Is it run by a full pedigree  Angus man though?  :lol:

Wildfisher

Jim,

I had a look at your link. that site probably has a better selection, of wet flies anyway, the price is the same. All the flies are tied in third world sweat shops anyway. Allegedly.  :)

I have had some of these firms onto me trying to sell me flies(as has Mike), I have asked for samples to be sent (only a dozen flies!)  but nothing ever comes. Does not give you a lot of confidence in their ability to supply.

The Brechin point is an interesting one. To me it simply confirms the old Arbroath legend that  Brechin was originally a part of Aberdeenshire that broke off one day during  heavy rain and was washed down the A92.  Never did like the place after me and my pal Ron were chased oot o’ the Coventry dance hall one Saturday night in 1972,  disgraced in the eyes of  these two Forfar quines we were with at the time and up until that point it looked like a sure thing.   :lol:

ten boaber

Why do you think that they built the by-pass for Brechin :D
Come on ye Brechiners lets hear fae you!!!!!

bluezulu

If, like me, you no longer have the time to tie - then online buying is great...

I'm not only short on time but also short on talent .

results from recent efforts were  about as good as england were against france yesterday.

:D

can personally vouch for this site:

http://www.spidersplus.co.uk/home.html

great service and he takes requests....

hibsman

I like to stock up on flies and I cannot be *rsed tying them ... I want decent flies I can fish with confidence so that rules out all the "22p tied by a foreign child" merchants ... anyone have any recommendations of a scottish tyer who'd tie up a batch for me?

cheers

Chris

Wildfisher

Quote from: hibsmanI like to stock up on flies and I cannot be *rsed tying them ... I want decent flies I can fish with confidence so that rules out all the "22p tied by a foreign child" merchants ... anyone have any recommendations of a scottish tyer who'd tie up a batch for me?

cheers

Chris

They are bound to cost you more. Stan Headley's flies cost about ?1 each from Hugo Ross, which is fair enough when you consider the cost of time. Involved in tying. I think that Phil's flies  (Spiders Plus) are about ?1 each once postage is added. Again expensive by Vietnamese sweat shop standards, but a fair price for ethically, home tied flies. I was thinking about doing a range of home tied flies myself, but have not got my head round it yet. Not a huge range, just some Scottish patterns or at least those suitable for Scottish fishing. Some of the better ones are not available form the third world child labour plants.

Wildfisher

Quote from: SandflyAnother place worth trying , based in Inverness .

http://www.artifly.com/index.html

Davy .

Davy, I am told that Gerry at Artifly ties some of the best flies available.  I might be wrong, but I think Hugo gets flies from Gerry.

Spidersplus

Many thanks to all the forum members for your kind words regarding my site and especially my flies!  

I do tie ALL my flies - I do not buy in from overseas as some - certainly not all - online companies do...

I have now added a series of Tummel/Clyde style patterns to the site - I would very much welcome comments  - and suggestions for more patterns!

Kind regards

Phil
www.spidersplus.co.uk

Go To Front Page