News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Starting flytying

Started by bluezulu, February 16, 2006, 03:54:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluezulu

Apologies to all if this is ground that has been covered many times before. And further apologies because its a probably a bit of a "how long is a piece of string" question...

I have decided its time to learn to tie myself some basic wet flies for my all too rare expeditions to the hills.

I inherited a flytying vice and a few bits and pieces from my Dad who was a pretty decent fly tyer. Because he was generous with the fruits of his time at the vice  I never really learned to do more than tie the occasional salmon fly , most of which fell apart long before a fish had a chance to chomp on them.

what i'm wondering is what materials should i start off with? looks like i could spend an awful  lot if i am to furnish myself with a full range of hackles, dubbing materials and the like in all the colours etc.

I'm thinking of getting myself to where i can tie the black pennels, blue/black zulus, kate mclarens, butchers, spiders, bibios, teal and clarets, ptns, daddies ...the things i seem to have on 90% of the time i fish .

so what materials are indispensable  to get going?

feel free to laugh me off the board (i suspect the real laughter will come if i post some pictures of the results of prolonged sweating and swearing at the vice!)

:oops:

bluezulu

thanks guest and swithun-

I'll start with a Bibio and a spider or two as you suggest . once i've mastered those i'll try something else.

so i'll be back for more advice in..oooh...a couple of years.

I promise not to offend anyone'ss sensibiltiies by posting any pictures of the results. unless i find a trout dim enough to latch on to one obviously.

btw swithun , read and greatly enjoyed your report for your holiday in  argyll  - i learnt to fish on awe, etive and thereabouts, and as a boy had many a blank day in that area- whole blank seasons to be honest .

that sea kayak looks like it would be a very  useful addition to the inordinate amount of stuff i already have to load the car with to go anywhere (i have a 2 year old - sure you'll understand).  now i  just need to persuade mrs bluezulu that its a legitimate expense  

:roll:

Spidersplus

Hey Bluezulu,  If you would like some free samples of Spider patterns to copy, please feel free to email me - I have a large range on my own website and I would be delighted to send you some ...   www.spidersplus.co.uk

Fishtales

black pennels, blue/black zulus, kate mclarens, butchers, spiders, bibios, teal and clarets, ptns, daddies

For the list above you will need.

Black thread
Black floss
Black, Red and Claret Seal fur or sub.
Silver and Gold wire and flat Mylar
Black and Brown or Red Game cock capes
Golden Pheasant head
Pheasant Tail
Various other natural colours of floss and seal fur tyed with the materials above will give you quite a choice of flies.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Go To Front Page