News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Anvil apex vice

Started by Lochan_load, November 03, 2014, 10:02:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lochan_load

Hey all, Ive been using a regent vice since I started tying again a few years ago, it's served me well and at £20 I've no complaints but of late it's started slipping through the c-clamp and it loosens up all the time. I also want to get a smoother working vice with a rotary function, I seem to be turning my flies round more and more to check them, add cheeks etc
Anyway my question is basically if anyone has used an anvil apex vice? I've been looking around and like the look of it and looks simple and well made, can get one just now for about £85 as well which seems like a bit of a bargain but wouldn't mind hearing from someone who's tried it, cheers

Wildfisher

I have one Andy, it's good but it is not a true rotary vice, so I hardly use it  these days. The Anvil Atlas would be better, but they are more expensive. I bought a cheap Caimore 'Pro-Rotary' Fly Tying Vice, it's OK, but cheaply made and a bit flimsy.

Lochan_load

Think I preferred the simple shape and design (and price!) of the apex, what is the rotary function like? I don't really need full rotation or anything just enough to flip my fly over. What about the build quality? Any opinions very welcome

Inchlaggan

I have an Anvil Apex, build quality is fine but as Fred says it is not a true rotary.
It will flip the flee over for you nice and neatly.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Wildfisher

Quote from: Lochan_load on November 03, 2014, 10:31:01 PM
what is the rotary function like?

The vice cannot hold the hook shank in the horizontal plane relative to the point of rotation, so the rotary function  is pointless.  The vice is OK, but I would not buy it knowing what I now know. It has no real advantage over a cheap vice.

Lochan_load

Ok cheers both, back to the drawing board!

Wildfisher

I think that if you enjoy your fly tying as you clearly do, it would be better to buy a good rotary vice.

Lochan_load

I've just spotted the snowbee fly mate, I can get that for just over £30 at Harvey angling, looks good and reviews all seem good, full rotary, any experience of that? Would love to go for the atlas but don't think I can justify the price

loch coulter

i have the anvil atlas, full rotary and good solid build, will last a lifetime :P

Wildfisher

Quote from: Lochan_load on November 04, 2014, 10:14:11 AM
I've just spotted the snowbee fly mate, I can get that for just over £30 at Harvey angling, looks good and reviews all seem good, full rotary, any experience of that? Would love to go for the atlas but don't think I can justify the price

I think Johnsd told me he has one of those.

Go To Front Page