News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Anvil apex vice

Started by Lochan_load, November 03, 2014, 10:02:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highlander

The Anvil Aoex  has always been listed as a rotary vice yet a few of you say otherwise.
This Amercan made vice has always had good reviews irrespective of rotary or not which incidentally very few actually use this function myself included.

Confused of Erskine
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Lochan_load

Is that his forum name? I'll start a new thread and see if I get any hits, cheers for the info

Wildfisher

Never let it be said I don't make the effort.  :lol:

Full rotary vs Anvil Apex

Rotary Vice

Lochan_load

Truelly above and beyond Fred!
Yeah would have been pretty disappointed with that rotation as it doesn't really do what is required, I might stretch to the atlas as it would last and do what I need but I would need to hide the receipt from the wife! If I get good feedback about the snowbee I will prob go for that, at £35ish can't really go wrong

Tyro

As Admin has demonstrated the Anvil Apex is not a true rotary device but it is solidly made and holds the fly tightly which is more than some vices do. I have used one for two years now and never had any problems with it and they are very popular with the local fly tying community. Although not truly rotary you can turn your fly to put on the jungle cock/ false hackle/ legs or what ever you want on the other side/ underneath no problem.
What would be nice is if one of the hands on technical guys on the forum was to start producing some Law type vices. Can't be that difficult but it's over forty years since I was taught to use hand tools and lathes in Rosyth Dockyard.

Len

Inchlaggan

Quote from: Tyro on November 04, 2014, 04:58:52 PM
What would be nice is if one of the hands on technical guys on the forum was to start producing some Law type vices.
Happy to give that a slash if I could find some plans/ an original for me to take apart/ someone to dimension an original for me.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

johnsd

Fred can i ask a silly question if you loosen the joint at the top of the shaft on the anvil and level the head does it not make it rotate the fly just a thought John
yer going where

Wildfisher

You can John, but unless you have hands the size of a  4 year old Vietnamese sweat shop fly tier it makes the vice unusable  :lol:

Wildfisher

Just to demo what I mean. In this position it rotates along the axis of the hook, however the body of the vice restricts access. I certainly find it unusable like that. This is why they put on the cranked jaws shaft on the rue rotary vices

[attachimg=1]

Suki1312

Dyna King Kingfisher vice £130 but worth every penny . Dyna king really do build quality vices . Full rotary and the build quality is second to none . Will last a lifetime
Every day is a school day

Go To Front Page