News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

synthetic zonker?

Started by corsican dave, November 09, 2014, 08:54:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corsican dave

so, has anyone got any suggestions for a synthetic zonker? i'm thinking huge fritz or cactus chenille, or maybe something really off the wall like some sort of xmas decoration or even faux-fur cut into strips? standard zonker fibres are about 30mm in length. any and all ideas appreciated.
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

haresear

Silver tinsel off the Christmas tree? You could trim it or leave it as it is.

Alex
Protect the edge.

rannoch raider

Hi Dave, Not sure if I am thinking of the same sort of thing as you but might be of interest to know that I tie an all black zonker for night time bass fishing. I add bulk to the pattern by 'palmering' the body i.e. the zonker strip wrapped around in touching turns over a bed of varnish. The technique gives a lot of bulk for very little extra weight. I usually have a zonker strip tail 3 inches or so on these lures, I sometimes double the tail and glue it along it's length too. This results in a big pulsating target that would surely interest pike?

Cheers
Jim

SoldierPmr

Quote from: rannoch raider on November 15, 2014, 11:44:13 PM
Hi Dave, Not sure if I am thinking of the same sort of thing as you but might be of interest to know that I tie an all black zonker for night time bass fishing. I add bulk to the pattern by 'palmering' the body i.e. the zonker strip wrapped around in touching turns over a bed of varnish. The technique gives a lot of bulk for very little extra weight. I usually have a zonker strip tail 3 inches or so on these lures, I sometimes double the tail and glue it along it's length too. This results in a big pulsating target that would surely interest pike?

Cheers
Jim

Have you got any pictures of this? I'm also interested  :)

rannoch raider

No pictures to hand but I've a few tied up in my box. I haven't been tying much over the last year or so but I'm going to set the gear up this week and get going again. I'm also just getting the hang of a new camera with a good macro facility so hopefully stick a few photos up too. I'll make a point of getting a photo of the big black fella up as soon as I do. It's fairly easy to picture in the mind though. Just tie it the same as any other lure. Tie a body, then a tail then add a zonker strip at the bend and palmer in tight turns to the eye. finish anyway you want, hackle , wing. eyes? You can follow through the palmer with a rib of your choosing too if you like.

corsican dave

Quote from: rannoch raider on November 15, 2014, 11:44:13 PM

Cheers
Jim
cheers Jim! that's actually the same technique I used on the body of the midnight creeper. still a hefty beast, tho'....
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Go To Front Page