News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Dying capes

Started by Lochan_load, November 12, 2014, 08:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clan Chief

yep we know who to blame! My concern is the possible mess however it could bring back to life some old capes!

Lochan_load

You've done well I'm forever staining my fingers Claret and hot orange  :lol: golden olive looks really good!

pedropete

well done robbie, great looking capes, in handy shades too.

Clan Chief

Bought some dye a while back but appear to have lost it so off I went to GAC yesterday to get some. Got a tub of dark claret. Now need to get two old pots, bottle of vinigar and latex gloves. Have I missed anything?

Robbie

I washed the capes using Venpol detergent before dying. Some newspaper was handy to protect kitchen work tops.

pedropete

for capes i use jonsons baby shampoo,its amazing how much grease you will take out..if you dont wash your capes the natural waterproofness..is that a word?? will repel the dye..wash'n'go..

pedropete

small batch dying today, some peacock eyes(flu yellow),G.P.crests (flu yellow and golden yellow), a half cock grizzle cape(red) and some peacock herl(black). used acetic acid glacial for the first time, extra thick rubber gloves and plenty ventilation is needed, the dark colors really took well,I'm happy with the results.

Robbie

They look great!, what do you use the acetic acid for?

pedropete

a fixing agent, you can use distilled white vinegar as I have done in the past, I got better results with the glacial which is essentially vinegar concentrate...

Lochan_load

Magic stuff Pedro! Very vivid colours, the gp is particularly nice. Is acetic glacial a different type of dying?

Go To Front Page