News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Origins Of The Verb To Palmer

Started by Wildfisher, December 09, 2014, 10:11:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

As in palmering a  fly. I heard recently, I think it was on one of Bob Wyatt's DVDs, (and Bob does his research)  that it comes from an old Scottish word - "palmer"  meaning caterpillar or type of caterpillar. That sort of makes sense when you look at the effect.

Anyone heard this or perhaps an alternative?

Highlander

A palmer hackle goes way back & I'll bet before Scottish tiers got hold of it.
Dame Julian Berners had Mayflies tied with this hackle. I see the connection with Caterpillars but not a word of Scottish origin that I am aware off.
I believe the term came from early Christian times were palm leaves were carried as a mark that they had visited the Holy Land. I take it the shape of the Palm leafs came into fly tying some time later on.

Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Mark

Wow never knew there was so much to it, or it was so old.
When was Berners around..1400's?

Highlander

QuoteWhen was Berners around..1400's?

Yes that is about right. If you really want to read a bit of history see if you can get a copy of
The Fly...........Andrew Herd 
That will tell you about most old things including the Palmer question.
I may be available online to read by now. I had a copy way back but it went "walkies" so I can not check just going on memory with my answear.

Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Mark

Thanks Highlander. Also found a couple of books here - https://archive.org/search.php?query=Dame%20Juliana

Been working my way through lots of books on there from the 1850's to early 1920's. They really loved their trout fishing back then with a passion

Go To Front Page