News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Alternative cheeks for Half-hogs?

Started by drumgerry, February 22, 2006, 04:29:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drumgerry

Hi all

Anyone used different cheek material for half-hogs - part from the recommended holographic tinsel?  I'm wanting to tie a few but don't have the required tinsel!  Wouldn't ya know it! :roll:   Got it in fine but not in medium but I don't think fine would work.

I have pearl mylar and jungle cock - might just tie a few with these and see how it goes.  If anyone has used anything else it'd be interesting to hear their experience.

Cheers

Gerry

drumgerry

Thanks for that Allan!  Tried one with Jungle Cock cheeks tonight and it turned out pretty ok - it looks pretty good with the rest of the fly.  I had tried one with the pearl lurex and it sort of got lost against the background of the dubbed fur.  Thanks for the other ideas - I got a bit more inspiration as well from the Artifly site.  He has a lot of very creative variations on the Halfhog and I may rip a few of them off for my own use!

Looking forward to my casting lesson with Kevin at Glen of Rothes on Friday - Saturday's lesson was cancelled after the snow so hopefully Thursday night will be ice free and it'll go ahead.  Will definitely look again in the shop - lots of nice stuff there (I went for some other flytying bits and bobs later on Saturday as I was driving past!) and I bought some of Kevin's dubbing mix after seeing that you use it in some of your patterns!  Didn't remember the holographic tinsel though! Doh! :roll:

I met Des at the Elgin Angling Centre a couple of weeks back but he was busy so not much time for a chinwag.  Believe it or not there were 3 customers in at the same time getting life vests (or cartridges) including me getting one for the float tubing.  Told Des you sent me though.  Need to go back for a more leisurely visit I think.

All the best

Gerry

drumgerry

Here is the very fly tied tonight - head is a bit dodgy but I plan to tease the dubbing out a bit once the varnish dries.  Sorry about the light quality in the image - twould have been better in daylight.  It's only my second halfhog and I'm gradually getting the hang of them.

Cheers

Gerry

drumgerry

Hmmm...will be very interested to read what you have planned re the JC.  It does seem a bit of a magical material does it not?

It's a bummer that I probably won't be around in the avo at Rothes tomorrow otherwise you'd have had the pleasure of meeting my ugly mug.  But we'll no doubt meet up afore long.

Cheers

Gerry

Go To Front Page