News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Muddlers "Anytime"

Started by Bobfly, April 29, 2015, 11:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobfly

See two photos below of a bushy muddler head tied onto a short length c.7mm of narrow plastic tube. The head is being held by a varnish needle in the pictures. Take off your fly then thread the muddler onto the cast and put the fly back on and you now have a muddler on if you happen to be caught short :D :D       

I got this some years ago from Bill Felton. A neat idea and easy to carry

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Bobfly

By which I meant Billy Felton.

Bobfly

I doubt if I would be bothered to tie any but he gave me some whilst we were there a few years back and it is a notion to have them there to hand if the wind picks up and the waves get up and you want to "go bushy" .....  I just put in the pictures because I have never seen them anywhere ..... which may well say something.   :) :)

SoldierPmr

Quote from: Tom56 on April 29, 2015, 08:04:36 PM
How would you fish a muddler? I have a couple of locally tied ones but not tried them yet.
like a bob fly or subsurface like a lure that's how I do it and it's worked on the right days.

Lochan_load

Quote from: Roobarb on April 29, 2015, 06:21:18 PM
Do you know I think I'll knock a few up. They could be just the thing to revive a flagging guest on a slow day.
"Here Sir stick one of these on, it will transform that Peter Ross" :D

Andy

You could be onto something there, might give somebody facing a blank a wee gee-up!

Mick.Y

Quote from: claretbumble on April 30, 2015, 09:16:32 AM
You can fish them wet or dry, depending on where the fish are. I fish them a lot.... sometimes a wee size 16 or 14 muddler on the point, or my ultimate favourite is to fish a big dry muddler high in the water in a light ripple. Fish it almost static, then every so often give it a decent pull so it dives under the ripples before popping back up to surface .... fish can hammer it when it pops up!

Would you just fish the muddler on its own doing this and dispense with any droppers?

Highlander

I will be quite honest & say I really do not see the point of this. It would be more simple just to tie half a dozen Muddlers.
A gimmick at best.

Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Fishtales

Quote from: Highlander on April 30, 2015, 04:25:01 PM
I will be quite honest & say I really do not see the point of this. It would be more simple just to tie half a dozen Muddlers.
A gimmick at best.

Tight Lines

Not really Alan because it turns any fly into a muddler without tying heads on them all thus creating more flies.

I tyed the same type of thing some forty years ago on small brass tubes to go in front of plastic tubes for the salmon using bucktail to stream back over the tube. It allowed the plastic tube to be fished deeper but not as deep as a full brass tube.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

loch coulter

Quote from: Mick.Y on April 30, 2015, 03:35:13 PM
Would you just fish the muddler on its own doing this and dispense with any droppers?
.i had two on a wee olive spider last week, muddler on point and two spiders on the droppers, i was pulling them quite fast and the muddler probably brought the fish up, it was really cold. :?

Highlander

Quoteit turns any fly into a muddler without tying heads on them all thus creating more flies.

Fair point but I would only use a "proper" Muddler so would not apply to me.

Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Go To Front Page