News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

A blob for brownies?

Started by Lochan_load, May 07, 2015, 06:41:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lochan_load

Bit of fun really but I was inspired by Corsican Daves use of booby tactics to have a go at a blob for brownies, no fritz in sight though! Palmered marabou tips trimmed to a sharp edge. I'll give it a swim today and see how I get on. Has anyone tried a blob for brownies before? I think they are starting to be banned at stockie waters due to their effectiveness so could wild brownies be similarly suicidal for this pattern?

[attachimg=1]

haresear

I see no reason why that blob won't work. It is after all a lure of sorts  :worms and suggests food rather than imitates it.

On the other hand there are certain flies that rainbows (even the wild ones) will find more attractive than the brownies. The luminous flies used on New Zealand's lake Taupo at night are very effective on rainbows, but for brownies at night, a black fly wins hands down.

Alex
Protect the edge.

mattheweastham

I remember a few years ago the England youth loch style team had a couple of days on Ullswater with some local guys to prepare them for a forthcoming comp on - don't quote me here - the WOI loughs. I recall a couple of the lads who had never fished for wild browns before insisted on their usual ressie tactics of pulling blobs and although this by and large proved less effective than trad approaches, there were a couple of very good fish taken - better fish than you would normally expect to encounter.

Another occasion when I shared a boat with a comp angler on a rock hard stillwater renowned for its sparse population of large browns: I returned three to just over 5lb that day; my partner blanked and in his increasing frustration turned to blob and booby as a last resort. It didn't work. Don't get me wrong, I'll fast-arm blobs with the best of 'em on the right fishery....but I was quietly relieved to see the tactic fail on a wild water where it just didn't 'feel right'!

M

Lochan_load

It didn't work  :( to be fair nothing did, freezing cold wind meant a double blank on the boat and one fish spotted all day....hard work!!
The fly didn't look that great in the water either, thought it would pulse nicely but it remained pretty stiff, muddler in the same colour looked far better in the water, still didn't entice the fish though  :?

Wildfisher

It's supposed to be getting a lot warmer next week, try it again than.  :D

IanR

They work on the Sanday lochs in Orkney  :shock:

Ian.

Highlander

QuoteThey work on the Sanday lochs in Orkney

I am sure they do, the Orkney scene is predominated by competition types & they use just about any creation & method to "kill" a Trout. Yes no C&R up there, you fish in compos & you weigh in deid fish
On a personal choice Blobs and the way they are fished are not welcome in my world.
I am sorry but there you go. Not for me this type of " fly".

Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Lochan_load

It's not for me either but it was a bit of a laugh/experiment, fundamentally I'm a bit of a fuddy duddy when it comes to flies for trout  :roll:

rannoch raider

Stick an inch and a half of black and orange marabou with two or three strands of gold flashabou mixed in or as a 'crest' and it will definitely catch salmon.  :)

Wildfisher

Quote from: Lochan_load on May 11, 2015, 12:20:39 AM
It's not for me either

It is for me. A fly is a fly is a fly. I'm almost as bad as Corsican Dave.  :lol:

Go To Front Page