News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

A wee box for South Uist.

Started by Highlander, June 10, 2015, 06:01:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highlander

So far, in no particular order
Black Pennell 12 & 10s
Clan Chief 12s
Black Zulu 12 & 10s
Grouse & Claret  12 10 & 8
Silver Invicta   10 & 8 (added a size 12)
Soldier Palmer 12,10 & 8
Teal Blue & Silver 10 & 8
Peter Ross 12,10 & 8
Kingfisher Butcher 12,10 & 8
Goats Toe 10 & 8
Blue Zulu 10 & 8 (added a size 12)
Alexandra 10 & 8
Loch Ordie 12 &10
Stoats Tail (wee double)  12 & 10
Bibio 12 & 10
Ke He 12 & 10
Silver Butcher 12,10 & 8
March Brown 12 & 10 ( I know, September but I was told one to try on Stillgarry) Anyway it is in the box.
Dry Daddies (dapping)
Additions :
Dunkeld
Claret Sedge Hog
Couple of Shrimp patterns 12 &10 (Salmon)
Hackled Wet Daddie

Probably a few other late entry's but with that selection I think I have covered most waters so to speak
Any one have any others worth a go.
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Inchlaggan

'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Laxdale

Does no one use muddlers in Uist?

SoldierPmr

Seeing the quality of your flys before I bet that box is stunning. Got a picture of it?

Highlander

I will add any suggestions including hook size that I deem usefull "to me" to my list.
I purposely left out the Machair Claret simply because I do not like flies with hackled tails. I have found that they have a habit of turning in on themself at the bend. I will however add a Claret Half Hog rather that the full blown Hedgehog & definately a Dunkeld.
I missed that one out in original list.
Tight Lines

PS Andy my wife says" I am no threat to wild Atlantic Salmon stocks"

Soldier I wil post a picture when I have finished it,
Laxdale: Thought about Muddlers but I have enough top dropper flies I reckon. Having said that some may choose that option. Giveing a decent wind I intend to dap & The Daddie in September is the one for them.

Nemo me impune lacessit

gerrymaguire

just got a report from my mate he was on upper cilldonan today they had 22 for the boat all about a pound best about pound and a quarter good sport!

highlander2504

Red arsed peter sedgehog is my go to fly at the moment. Brings trout to the surface when nothing else is working.

Laxdale

I always assumed that it was the shape/profile of the muddler that attracted fish. More so than the wake.
A couple of the old ghillies on N Harris used to fish black muddlers on sinking lines to great effect for both salmon and sea trout.
In a good wave, pulling muddlers through waves, as opposed to over them, is hard to beat on Lewis and Harris.

diogg

I would add a golden olive bumble, or two - although I accept it may be slightly too late in the season.  Also     -      wait for it     -     a sparkler booby.  No other reason than it works - East Loch Bee and Roag.  I kid you not.

Highlander

Quotesparkler booby.

Indeed diogg...... I have no reason to doubt your choice of "fly" I am sure as you have said it works but it will not work in my box. I would rather take up golf than use some of these "modern" flies. It would be a bad day indeed if some of my selection did not tease a Trout or two. Thanks for suggestion though. Golden Olive can be a good top dropper but I have more than a few in my selection that would fit the bill in later season especially The Soldier Palmer, an old fly but one I vary rarely have off the cast. Has been without doubt the most consistent of catchers for upland waters for me at least

Tight Lines

Nemo me impune lacessit

Go To Front Page