News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Der Geschwader

Started by speydulika, July 10, 2015, 09:42:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

speydulika

The Dressing

Hook: Partridge SLD Size 20 (still available from James McDonald and 3 boxes turned up at my house yesterday)
Thread: Sheer 14/0 black
Hackle: Grizzle cock from the base of the cape
Body: 2 strands of natural peacock herl

It's gonna be a warm weekend again. All fishes please report to the surface

Bobfly

On such small flies is an upturned eye, or straight, any better than the normal down turned eye as they would allow a slightly more open gap to the point of the hook ??
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

speydulika

The Partridge SLD has a very large gape in relation to its size as has the Daiichi Size 24 that I used on my earlier posting of the Sparkle Gnat. Upturned eyed hooks were not really designed to offer a larger gape on hooks they were designed to enhance the grip offered when using a TURLE OR TURTLE KNOT . Following the link will give you a You Tube clip about how to tie them.

Bobfly

If you think on it, the logic that an upturned eye matches with a Turl knot then so too does a downturned eye and the Turl should go on the underneath side !!! The intention is a straight leader alignment and primarily intended for salmon flies.
Sometimes I wonder if there is too much "bulk" on some flies that infills the gape. Handy to know that these Partridge hooks have a wide gape. Their fairly recent Classic Spider hooks have that.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Go To Front Page