News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Best Scissors ?

Started by rannoch raider, December 10, 2015, 02:43:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rannoch raider

Looking for a wee bit of advice. I've been using Dr Slick fine point scissors for my tying but they've lost some of their edge at the extreme tip of the blades, you know, the last 2mm that you use to snip hackles, threads or do any fine work. They're still very useable but I'm going to have to replace them soon and was wondering what you guys are using and would be interested in any recommendations as to what's best out there right now ?

Cheers
Jim

Lochan_load

No idea what these scissors are called but my mum gave me them tears ago, they were ones she had lying about spare. They are embroidery ones I think and not a particularly expensive pair but they're great. Suppose my point is it's probably worth looking at ones from a sewing shop or hobbycraft or similar, you'll get more for your money!
[attachimg=1]

corsican dave

with Andy on that one, Jim! probably not what you want to hear when you're wanting to justify treating yourself, but I use ordinary fine scissors (I think they're called cuticle scissors) from the chemist/supermarket costing about £2 tops. I maybe get through a pair a year depending on how nasty I am to them! to be honest, i can't remember the last time i bought a pair. I also have a pair of larger ones which came with a wahl electric hair clipper and I use those for the crude stuff like feather stalks, bunches of hair etc. they're at least 5 years old now. I keep a small pair of wire cutters handy too, for thicker wire and heavy gauge nylon. they're also handy for crimps for wire pike leaders.

i'd spend the money on some nice hooks or top quality hackles. stuff you can't find in the xmas shops..... :lol:
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

claytonmcnie

Just ordered a pair of adjustable Dr slick razor scissors from lakeland that are on sale at half the price of ebay (12.50) but wont get to try them till i'm home in a few weeks. Maybe someone who has used them can enlighten.

shad

After getting sick of using cheap scissors I asked a mate who ties flies semi professionally what he would recommend last year and he said he liked the veniards  tungsten carbide ones ,got apair and really like them.Holding up well and good for fine work.

They are the black ones,think they were about 15 quid but we'll worth it.

Bobfly

The ones with the tungsten carbide blades can be used for cutting wires and are meant to last a long time ... not that I have a pair but I know some who do have them and say they are good. I have just got Veniard's normal ones.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Highlander

Plenty of good scissors out there Dr Slick are as good as any. I use a curved one from Veniard which I have had for a number of years which are fine Main thing about scissors is to have two pair, one for feather work & one for cutting wire. Never use the point of your good scissors for cutting wire etc.  Do  that & you will blunt them in jig time.

Tight line
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

rannoch raider

Thanks for your replies gents. I have used a knife that was hand made from high grade tungsten. it was heavy but it held a razor edge that withstood all sorts of hard use and abuse. I'd imagine it would make good scissors. There's a bit of life left in my Dr Slicks yet so I've time to rummage around a few places and try some. I wouldn't mind another set of slicks actually, they are pretty good.

Bobfly

What is really needed is a little tool for sharpening small pairs of scissors. You can easy sharpen a knife, and I have a tool thingy for big scissors and garden shears ...... but little scissors ?? Is there such a tool out there ??
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

shad

If its any help avoid scissors by stonefly and marryat those are both in my collection and now used for wire and toenails! in fact I was given the whole stonefly set of tools as a gift and every tool was shite! huge shame cause I like to support British production where possible.

Go To Front Page