News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

whiting farms capes spey hackles

Started by rannoch raider, December 22, 2015, 03:32:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rannoch raider

Hi Folks, I'm tying to find a supplier for whiting farms Spey capes in the UK but not having much joy. Can anyone help ? I know Lakeland are dealers but they tell me that they don't have the Spey capes and don't think there will be any available in the very near future.
There must be some hiding somewhere? :shock:

Cheers
Jim

rannoch raider

I've had a look at the troutcatchers pack but it is a marabou substitute for the Spey hackles. Funky Fibre is just standard whiting capes. There are one or two on Ebay but they are in the USA and it's hard to get an idea of the quality. Again, many are the 'chickabou substitute.
It might come down to using ebay for an American cape but that's last resort stuff. I know where to get one from a Danish supplier which may be an option but it is an expensive one !

Highlander

I have a packet of Spey Hackles from an American tier that I will never use, see link below. They are a selection of different colours not many in the packet but are "proper" Spey hackles all be is a million miles from The River Spey   :lol:

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/atlantic/speyhackle.php

Now having said all that you might want to try "Schlappen" hackles. These can be used fo Spey flies at a push.
http://www.sportfish.co.uk/schlappen-feathers.html
Not many tiers today will ever tie a proper Spey fly nowadays, would be nice to see your attempts. I doubt you will get these in the UK simply because there would be little demand. A book you would find useful is

Shrimp & Spey  Flies For Salmon:  Chris Mann & Robert Gillespie    ISBN  1-873674-562-X

Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

rannoch raider

From what I can gather, the whiting farm Spey hackle isn't the type that would suit the classic Spey style salmon fly. I believe it is a bit stiffer and finer in the fibre as well as being a fair bit longer . I am hoping to tie a few Pattegrisen shrimp style sea trout flies for saltwater use next year. The whiting cape is the recommended material and I need to get it in a white / cream or light grizzle if I can.
I can get a perfect cape for about £60 but I think that's a bit pricey for something that has a limited use. I think I might have to look at the Schalpen and larger cheaper Indian capes to see if I can find a similar substitute.
The subs that are available seem to be geared towards replacing the soft webby sort of hackles that the Classic spey salmon flies require.
The guys I've spoken to so far confirm your doubts that they don't stock them because there is no demand. It seems they are in high demand in Denmark, Norway etc where these shrimp flies are popular. Whiting appear to have sold on their entire stock to dealers in these countries. That's probably why the price is similar to a good quality dry fly cape !

Lochan_load

I had to google what a pattegrisen fly was there but I don't think schlappen would do for it Jim, they have a kind of thick fibre not really like the whispy, fine, long fibre on those patterns ( I've got some red schlappen if you want to try it) what about the longer hackles at the top of a cock saddle? Might do the trick if you find one a suitable length

rannoch raider

Cheers Andy, thanks for the offer but like you I don't think it will work for this pattern either. The Whiting Spey hackles are pretty unique and I can see why they've been chosen for this pattern. I think that some patterns have a certain something that adds to their effectiveness and for this one, to my mind, it's this hackle.
I'm going to have a serious go at the saltwater sea trout next year and I'm going to try it with some Scandinavian patterns rather than the adapted trout patterns that are commonly fished for them in Scotland. I don't know how this will pan out fish wise, we shall see, but  however it goes I'm going to try to stick to the patterns as best I can unless I can see an obvious way to improve them, which I suspect is unlikely ! :lol:
I've found a great shop in Denmark that has everything I'm after including the Spey hackles. I'll order a few things after the xmas madness is over and hopefully i'll get a few done before 11th Feb when battle will commence !

Cheers
Jim

Lochan_load

Aye sometimes you just have to bit the bullet and treat yourself! Merry xmas  :D

speydulika

If you are looking for an alternative to the heron hackle used on Spey flies as it is now illegal to even possess heron material without an A10 Certificate then dyed blue eared pheasant is a half decent alternative. Steve Cooper at Cookshill is as good as anybody for this. If you actually require medium to long barbed saddle hackles then Christina at Chevron should be able to help you out. Her hen capes are excellent quality. Just tell her the average length of fibre you are looking for and she will sort you out. You can also try Toby Merigan at Funky Fly Tying. He does a new range called Nature's Spirit. These are a very good hackle but I find them a little bit dense. The problem you will have with anything from Herbert Whiting is consistency of supply. Also for the stock that is still around people think that they can charge a pot of gold for it. When all is said and done they are just cock or hen feathers. Back in the day when Spey flies were first utilised the poor pilgrim fly dresser had to use what was to hand. I dare say that the consistency of materials was a bit scatter gun. No offence intended but your fish will probably not give a rats arse what you've used or where you've got it from  :D

rannoch raider

Hi Bud, I'm not looking for Heron or an alternative to Heron. I think the name of this hackle / cape is a wee bit misleading. I don't think anyone would consider this the best hackle for tying traditional Spey style salmon flies. It is finer and stiffer than the preferred options for the traditional Spey salmon patterns and unfortunately the capes came from a few Whiting Farms specifically bred birds. I've spoke to the main fly tying material suppliers in the UK including Steve Cooper and Nigel at Lakeland and they tell me that whiting sold what was left of their stock to the Scandinavian countries who can't get enough for their shrimp patterns. It seems that this style of hackle wasn't much of a seller over here so no one is stocking it. I can understand that to an extent as it seems to be very expensive for a decent one. They are retailing at £120 and more for a full cape and due to its unique characteristics it is not going to lend itself to tying too many different patterns.
I can't say I'm keen on spending that sort of money so it will be a half cape for me if I buy.  Believe me, if I could find a decent alternative that gave the same effect as this hackle I wouldn't be giving a rats arse about what it was or where it came from either. You are talking to someone who has caught trout and salmon with material cut from an old synthetic rug and ornamental flowers from his mothers hallway vase  :lol:

Go To Front Page