News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

whiting farms capes spey hackles

Started by rannoch raider, December 22, 2015, 03:32:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lochan_load

Don't know if this link is any good to you but it's to a fly called the 'poor mans pattegrisen' it uses Spey hackle but hen instead of cock, don't know if it's easier to find but think it must be cheaper (or it's a pretty shit name for the fly!) anyway sbs might be worth a look. Do like these flies, very pretty!

http://theonefly.com/?p=535

speydulika

Quote from: rannoch raider on December 23, 2015, 12:34:06 PM
Hi Bud, I'm not looking for Heron or an alternative to Heron. I think the name of this hackle / cape is a wee bit misleading. I don't think anyone would consider this the best hackle for tying traditional Spey style salmon flies. It is finer and stiffer than the preferred options for the traditional Spey salmon patterns and unfortunately the capes came from a few Whiting Farms specifically bred birds. I've spoke to the main fly tying material suppliers in the UK including Steve Cooper and Nigel at Lakeland and they tell me that whiting sold what was left of their stock to the Scandinavian countries who can't get enough for their shrimp patterns. It seems that this style of hackle wasn't much of a seller over here so no one is stocking it. I can understand that to an extent as it seems to be very expensive for a decent one. They are retailing at £120 and more for a full cape and due to its unique characteristics it is not going to lend itself to tying too many different patterns.
I can't say I'm keen on spending that sort of money so it will be a half cape for me if I buy.  Believe me, if I could find a decent alternative that gave the same effect as this hackle I wouldn't be giving a rats arse about what it was or where it came from either. You are talking to someone who has caught trout and salmon with material cut from an old synthetic rug and ornamental flowers from his mothers hallway vase  :lol:

Let me know what colour and what barb lengths you want and your address please? I will post you a few individual Chevron hen hackles. Christina's hens are better than most other suppliers cock hackles. These obviously will not get to you until the New Year. If they are no good to you then maybe look at Toby Merigan's Natures Spirit stuff

rannoch raider

Quote from: Lochan_load on December 23, 2015, 12:43:41 PM
Don't know if this link is any good to you but it's to a fly called the 'poor mans pattegrisen' it uses Spey hackle but hen instead of cock, don't know if it's easier to find but think it must be cheaper (or it's a pretty shit name for the fly!) anyway sbs might be worth a look. Do like these flies, very pretty!

http://theonefly.com/?p=535

Yeah, Cheers Andy, seen that one and a few others. There are a number of alternatives to the pattern but I really like those that use the whiting spey hackles. The bloody thing might not even work over here ! :)

speydulika

The hackles in that step by step are dyed blue eared pheasant. 

rannoch raider

What makes you think that SD ? the author claims it is Whiting Spey Hen.  Are we missing something ?

speydulika

Quote from: rannoch raider on December 23, 2015, 02:26:06 PM
What makes you think that SD ? the author claims it is Whiting Spey Hen.  Are we missing something ?

With all due respect Whiting Spey Hen is not a real bird it is a brand name dreamed up by some marketing genius at Herbert Whiting to get you to buy their feathers for which they appear to be charging a premium. Blue eared pheasant is a real true to life bird that I would stake next months rent on is used for the purpose you are looking for. Don't take my word for it here are some images:

And finally an image from the step by step which was referred to:

If these are not the same feathers then I will gladly show my bare naked arse in Aberdeen Town Hall window

To answer your question I suggest you may be missing me trying to offer you advice. That is of course your choice. Good looking with your search for Whiting Spey Hackles

rannoch raider

Hi SD, I understand that Whiting is a brand name. I also understand that the words Spey and Hen are descriptions of a type of feather and the sex of the bird that these feathers were taken from. I am sure someone somewhere will be tying saltwater shrimp patterns with Dyed Blue Eared Pheasant feathers so I reckon you won't need to worry about going 'bare arsed' in Aberdeen. In fact, with Aberdeen being full of Aberdonians,  I'd strongly warn against such action unless you take the precaution of sticking a broken bottle up your rear end or can clench your checks firmer than a sharks arse at 50 fathoms to deter would be 'trespassers' :shock:
I've had a look at it, the pheasant feather that is! And from what I can see it is certainly favoured for tying traditional Spey style salmon  patterns which isn't a surprise as it is very like Heron. it also works out considerably more expensive at around one dollar per feather than buying a cape from the birds genetically bred by Tom Whiting would be.
I think the feather in the step by step is Spey Hen as described by the author. There is a big difference in the density, fibre length and in the interlocking of the fibres in the Blue Eared Pheasant. It looks very soft as well. I can see why you could suggest it as a possible alternative though and I appreciate the heads up.

Cheers
Jim

shad

Great thread this the  pattegrisen fly looks great , can see why the hackles get bought up quick especially in the shrimp colours.

You might get a similar effect using a dubbing loop with some craft fur , will try one tonight.

rannoch raider

You are right on the money there Shad, There a re a few step by steps of people using that technique to make some cracking shrimp patterns. They look excellent.

shad

Quick effort while dinner is cooking with the dubbing loop and hareline select craft hair salmon pink.

Hope that uploads, had problems with pics last time I tried.If you track down a cape in a nice light pink Id be interested in going halves, that ebay seller in the US didnt seem to have any, only chickabou which might be OK but Im not sure.

ATB Colin

Go To Front Page