News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Streamers for brownies??!!

Started by Lochan_load, March 21, 2016, 05:34:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lnelson20

I will have a go at tying them Alex

Thanks
Chris
c.nelson

haresear

Quote from: rannoch raider on March 21, 2016, 11:15:24 PM
These are pretty hefty big flies ! it does make you wonder how far you could go with big flies for trout. I bet they'd work a treat on places like loch Garry and Dunallister.

I'm sure they would work fine on many lochs.

As for how big to go. Well, I've caught a not particularly big sea trout on a live 6oz roach from Lomond in the '90s and I know of quite a few trout taken on half herring and whole sardine baits.
Come to think of it, a mate used a charr livebait about 9" long on a trossachs loch and had a 5lb...ish brownie on his first cast.

These captures on livebaits were a number of years back before it was made illegal.

Alex
Protect the edge.

haresear

Quote from: lnelson20 on March 21, 2016, 11:22:42 PM
I will have a go at tying them Alex

Thanks
Chris

I'll try to get you a better photo Chris. I found my camera - all we need now is the box of streamers :)

I didn't tie those, incidentally. The Zoo Cougars I buy from the Big Y Fly Co. (USA) and the olive/orange thing was one of many outsized and outlandish streamers kindly posted to me free of charge from NZ by Peter Carty, one of NZ's top guides.

Alex

Alex

Protect the edge.

rannoch raider

I've caught a number of big sea trout on Lomond with pike baits. One was on a popped up roach in Balmaha Bay. My most recent was at the end of the season two year ago on a trolled roach deadbait. Both were in double figures. I had a very nice brown on a popped up sprat in Kilbirnie Loch too. I suppose we wouldn't think twice about trolling 6 inch plugs for them but I've never considered going so big on a fly rod. I must tie a few of these and give it a try.

Lochan_load

Those are big flies and I've fished ones as big unsuccessfully but know folk who've been luckier. My two biggest trout last year were on a 4 and a half inch rapala so have faith flies of that size would work well. The ones you've been tying Jim for pike are similar to what I've fished at Garry albeit only taking pike. It's probably the case that we are all reluctant to try bigger flies because the perceived wisdom is that tiny, subtle flies will fool the biggest fish, I'm not sure that's the case and after flogging a big fly for an hour or more with no interest is easy to go back to 'the norm' and start getting fish again. It's probably down to how much you're willing to suffer for that specimen fish on the fly!

Part-time

This is one tied on the rod in the garage at the moment:
[attachimg=1]

A sort of Humongous/Shuggie type thing which worked well for me last season - the first season I made a concerted effort to fish steamers due to lack of rising fish. Worked well too with a better than average size of fish. Only blanks so far this season though :) I tie them in 6 or 8 and sometimes with dumbbell  eyes for more weight/movement - not so good for casting however. tried wooly buggers but without much success.

corsican dave

have used zoo cougars for a few years now. nothing mega (one very decent pollack), but it's surprising the size of trout that'll jump on a big streamer!
the Kelly galloup book is fairly mind-expanding, especially for uk anglers. of course there'll always be those who'll say "it only works for American trout"...... :roll:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Modern-Streamers-Trophy-Trout-Techniques/dp/0881506729/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1458635086&sr=1-1-fkmr1&keywords=big+streamers+for+trophy+trout

there's more information here than you can possibly take in at a sitting. and lots of nicely shot pics of funky patterns
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Strip-Set-Fly-Fishing-Techniques-Patterns-Streamers/dp/0811712974/ref=pd_sim_sbs_14_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=61jQR0cNW5L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR122%2C160_&refRID=003EB1QVH9YPNYD8VBH6
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Lochan_load

Tied this up similar to what John (part time)  posted above but I'll have a bash at one of the big deer hair doodas later, not articulated though I've not got the gubbins! I've underworld this so its a fair chunky mouthful and on the size 8 extra long again but much more substantial because of the tail
[attachimg=1]

Lochan_load

Lochan_load

And finally......[attachimg=1]

Go To Front Page