News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Streamers for brownies??!!

Started by Lochan_load, March 21, 2016, 05:34:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corsican dave

Quote from: bibio1 on March 23, 2016, 07:35:37 AM
If you were fishing a big fish loch with these streamers what would you use tackle wise. Would you stillbirths an 18"leader in clear water or would you weight the fly, which I suspect might affect it's action.

when a fish wants to eat one of these it's not bothered about the leader, I can assure you  :8) the length of the leader is only to determine the maximum height the fly rides above the bottom. I've often gone shorter, especially where i'm expecting takes "on the drop". that's so I can keep in touch. last year I was fishing for carp in gin-clear water with maybe 8" of 15lb. I could see the fly dropping through the water from the bank at 20 feet away. and the fish hitting it! make any untoward movements on the bank & the fish were spooked
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

bibio1

Very interesting. I think I'll tie some articulated Kelly galloup flies like the sex dungeon and boogie man.

I am fishing a big fish loch in June so want to be prepared.

This is a very interesting thread for someone who's fish dries on Rivers and traditional on lochs.

bibio1

Been thinking about this a lot today. Do any of the experts think it would be worthwhile doing an articulated stickle back imitation?

The other thing is that these steamers seem way overly big. Am I missing something?

corsican dave

Quote from: bibio1 on March 23, 2016, 10:36:50 PM
The other thing is that these steamers seem way overly big. Am I missing something?
yes! :lol: have a look at the real size of the jaws of the next trout you catch. much larger than you'd imagine
but you can still dress streamer patterns on a size #12, for instance. have fun; experiment!

plus, at the risk of labouring the point, grab yourself a copy of Kelly Galloup's book or do a google search and listen to one of his interviews
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Lochan_load

I've been watching a couple of kelly gallops shorter videos on YouTube while at work(shhh!)  interesting stuff. I'll finish off an articulated fly i was tying before I came in for the shift and post it up soon, the flying hook is a 6 and the main hook a size 2 osprey saltwater hook  :shock: it might still take some mental adjustment before I can fish it instead of my usual size 10's  :lol:

haresear

Quote from: corsican dave on March 23, 2016, 11:03:54 PM
yes! :lol: have a look at the real size of the jaws of the next trout you catch. much larger than you'd imagine
but you can still dress streamer patterns on a size #12, for instance. have fun; experiment!

plus, at the risk of labouring the point, grab yourself a copy of Kelly Galloup's book or do a google search and listen to one of his interviews

My introduction to Kelly Galloup's patterns and the "jerk-strip" retrieve came via a guy I occasionally have a day out with. He introduced me to the Zoo Cougar and the Sex Dungeon. I ordered some from the States, but they aren't really all that huge. The Zoo Cougars are about a size 4 or 2 longish shank, which is admittedly huge compared to our usual dry flies etc., but it isn't really a jawbreaker for a good sized trout.

one of the NZ guides, Pet Carty gave me a selection of his big outlandish creations and these really are big in volume as well as length, especially the articulated jobs.

I had by now already been experimenting with the Zoo Cougar and had been hooking (but mainly losing) good fish, so I knew they would work. One day when the river was high and coloured I had a very big fish flash at the yellow ZC as it came in to the bank. it happened again but the fish never hit the fly. At this point I would add that the yellow ZC lets you watch the fly in the water, which lets you adjust your retrieve to get the right effect. It also makes the take a visual affair which can be exciting.

Anyway, after the big fish had refused the ZC, I had a look around to make sure nobody was watching me tie on the monstrous Peter Carty affair that I then tied on. First cast I was hit by the big fish which had followed the fly almost to the bank before taking. This was a fish of I would estimate 6lb minimum (remember I have caught a lot of fish about that size and much bigger in NZ). It made a couple of runs and came off :(

I still really only use streamers in big water when I can't really do much else through personal preference for dry fly and I would never use them when I can use a dry fly or a nymph for that matter, but when I fish streamers I am no longer afraid of pushing the boundaries size-wise.

I'll close by saying that I have watched big trout chase smaller trout, parr or grayling on several occasions. On one of these occasions I had some more modest sized streamers with me and got a few trout to follow but not take. I now wonder what would have happened had I used the big flies I am now using.

Alex 

Protect the edge.

Lochan_load

:shock:
[attachimg=1]

haresear

Quote from: Lochan_load on March 23, 2016, 11:48:02 PM
:shock:
[attachimg=1]

That'll work (if it doesn't knock you out :)). You would get on well with Peter Carty of NZ :lol:

Alex
Protect the edge.

Lochan_load

It's nuts!
It looks fantastic though, really pleased with how it's turned out. Just need to grow a set now and throw it at some fish!

lnelson20

It may be stating the obvious but the weight of these flies if tied with lead dumbells should not be underestemated.After a couple of hours on tuesday i was thankfull l had tied a couple of lighter deer hair head over chain bead eyes.Also gives the option of fishing a longer leader .

Chris
c.nelson

Go To Front Page