News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Streamers for brownies??!!

Started by Lochan_load, March 21, 2016, 05:34:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haresear

Quote from: lnelson20 on March 24, 2016, 12:38:28 AM
It may be stating the obvious but the weight of these flies if tied with lead dumbells should not be underestemated.After a couple of hours on tuesday i was thankfull l had tied a couple of lighter deer hair head over chain bead eyes.Also gives the option of fishing a longer leader .

Chris

Yes, flies like these dumbell eyed jobs are difficult to cast safely. You run the risk of belting yourself or your rod with them as they swing around a fair bit. A heavier fly line helps to keep them under control to a degree.

Although I cast clousers, fish-skulls and the like at times, I prefer to use asinking line to get the flies down. I have a Cortland 333 WF6 ST (it's a long fast sink-tip) that I bought for bull trout fishing in Canada. It casts well for a fast sink tip and is my standard streamer line when fishing rivers, as I usually do.

Alex
Protect the edge.

bibio1

The other amazing thing galloup says is that almost 80% of the flies he ties don't swim well or "hunt" as he put it.

I'm going to give this articulated fly tying a go.  Not with massive flies to start with.

corsican dave

If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

lnelson20

Circus peanut and boogie men,the boogies are to heavy for my liking and for the bin :D

c.nelson

rannoch raider

Quote from: lnelson20 on March 24, 2016, 01:14:05 PM
Circus peanut and boogie men,the boogies are to heavy for my liking and for the bin :D

There will certainly plenty of movement and life about these guys, that's for sure!

shad

Quote from: lnelson20 on March 24, 2016, 01:14:05 PM

Yes all fit for the bin, send them to me and I will deal with them  :lol:

haresear

Quote from: haresear on March 21, 2016, 11:36:20 PM
I'll try to get you a better photo Chris. I found my camera - all we need now is the box of streamers :)

I didn't tie those, incidentally. The Zoo Cougars I buy from the Big Y Fly Co. (USA) and the olive/orange thing was one of many outsized and outlandish streamers kindly posted to me free of charge from NZ by Peter Carty, one of NZ's top guides.

Alex

Alex

I found a better photo of the big articulated streamer I lost that big troot on..... 
Protect the edge.

rannoch raider

That's really nice. Not many would associate that colour scheme with trout but as was said earlier the firetiger rapala gets it's fair share so why not ? It looks to be very well tied.

haresear

Quote from: rannoch raider on March 25, 2016, 01:13:25 AM
That's really nice. Not many would associate that colour scheme with trout but as was said earlier the firetiger rapala gets it's fair share so why not ? It looks to be very well tied.

It was not tied by me I hasten to add :)  That was dreamed up, tied and photographed by Pete Carty who comes up with some real crackers. Some actually look like flies :lol:

On the colour scheme, another Kiwi guide, Chris Dore swears by a purple zonker type thing dead drifted on the river.
Makes you look at yourself as a clad-in-tweeds type eh? :lol:

Alex

Protect the edge.

rannoch raider

I don't think there's much doubt that as trout fishers, no, make that fly fishers, most of us are a bit stuffy and traditionalist in our choice of patterns and tactics. It's definitely worth experimenting. If you spotted any of the larger Baltic sea trout patterns I tied recently it might interest you to know that I have had three decent outings when I have given the bigger prawn style and shrimp patterns a short swim and followed that with a quick but not too committed go with a few more bigger and brighter Danish patterns. To be honest, I've not really fished any of these with real confidence and I have occasionally deserted them and stuck on one or two better known Scottish patterns in the hope that I'd get the desired result. So far I haven't had a sniff ! My mate who has been starting these sessions with the lure rod has had a number of fish on a variety of lures. However, he always devotes the last hour or so of our outings to the fly rod and likes to arm himself from my fly box. The big (size 4 and three inches) Pink Pig with the spey hackles caught his eye as did a fairly substantial white, silver and olive clouser that was intended for sea bass. He has always had a few fish under his belt prior to changing to the fly and he is far more inclined than I am to just persevere with his choice of larger pattern before we pack it in. So far, this has worked for him and he has caught consistently on these bigger patterns and is taking great pleasure in reminding me of that fact at every opportunity  :lol:. He takes the view that as they've been hitting 3 inch spoons all day then they'll be just as happy to hit a three inch fly pattern. He also believes that when the water is cold and rough, a 3 inch fly may be 'required' to convince a fairly inactive fish that the effort made in chasing such a large pattern will be well rewarded with a substantial meal. Perhaps the same applies to fishing big streamers over here ?  Sticking at it with a bit of confidence might well be an eye opener in some conditions ! It's got to be worth a try.

Go To Front Page