News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Streamers for brownies??!!

Started by Lochan_load, March 21, 2016, 05:34:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoldierPmr

I've seen 1lb trout chase 3 inch tobys I'm sure it would be no different to a big streamer. I also have been using little flies and not having any luck while on the same fish using spinning methods just pulls them out. Some thing to be learnt here.

corsican dave

Quote from: bibio1 on March 26, 2016, 10:40:38 AM
I am now coming to the conclusion this branch of our sport is seriously under researched.
only in the uk. Americans way ahead of us. one of the oldest books in my collection: joe brooks - complete book of fly fishing 1958 has some pretty hefty streamer patterns
lefty's deceiver? 1958 (obviously a good year!) bob clouser's eponymous minnow? late 70's
the seaducer pattern dates from around the 1900s!
the british response (if you can call it that....) Gordon Fraser- mastering the nymph 1987? mentions the booby for reservoir stockies, but otherwise dull as ditchwater. tweed hat & troutmaster badges ZZZzzzzz
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

bibio1

I can sense a spey stravaig coming on.

corsican dave

Quote from: bibio1 on March 27, 2016, 09:49:41 PM
I can sense a spey stravaig coming on.
aye, you keep your greasy puds off my book collection, Paul! :lol:
joking aside, yep; it'd be a hoot. upper spey, I reckon  :8)
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Part-time

Quote from: bibio1 on March 26, 2016, 10:40:38 AM
On our larger rivers in particular the opportunities are immense.

I think that's definitely the case when you think about some of the accidental captures of big trout by salmon fishers. My second biggest trout ever was caught when fishing for salmon on the Spey and on another Spey beat the guy I was fishing with had two trout well over 3lb on a Stoats Tail - both caught in the same run about 5 minutes apart! A Don salmon fisher I know used to catch quite a few big trout (I saw the pics) - if he saw a good trout move he used to cast his salmon fly over it and strip it back fast and would often get it to take; his most successful fly for this he said was a 6 inch Sunray Shadow!!

Wildfisher

You will not be allowed to fish streamers on our larger rivers unless you have paid for salmon fishing. In fact if the SNP's  current  plans become  law  you won't be able  to fish our larger rivers at all for trout.

corsican dave

having looked through this thoroughly now, there is some seriously funky shit in here
http://globalflyfisher.com/review/fusion-fly-tying

although I had to look up how to attach the hook to the intruder style patterns. doh!  :roll:

bibio1

Senyos name does come up  a lot when you research this topic. He does seem a very creative fly tyer, which usually translates into an innovative fly fisher.

Looking forward to.hearing your main findings.

Part-time

Quote from: admin on March 28, 2016, 08:21:42 AM
You will not be allowed to fish streamers on our larger rivers unless you have paid for salmon fishing. In fact if the SNP's  current  plans become  law  you won't be able  to fish our larger rivers at all for trout.

Who knows where the wild fisheries review will end up but you cant fish a size 16 klink either on many of our big rivers without paying for a salmon ticket :D I'd guess on some of the big rivers that offer separate trout and salmon tickets it depends on what the rules are - if there are rules on hook size or breaking strain I suppose they could restrict you using streamers. That said I dont  remember any such restrictions for the last ticket like that I bought for the Tummel. Some of the club/association beats on the big rivers should also give a chance to try streamers for trout at a reasonable cost

SoldierPmr

I tried the Dave fly today i blanked but the fly it's self had success as a brownie of about 14oz to 1lb followed it until I had run out of water usually this water doesn't produce at all if fishing natruals and drys.  I would of kept going with the big streamer but unfortunately a tree claimed it. That's proof enough for me though.

Go To Front Page