News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

fly's that work well on lochs aswell as rivers

Started by the white van man, July 20, 2004, 11:21:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the white van man

Hi folks
I been fishing a fair while now but i did give up for a while and since then i often get lost in the what fly shall i use situation. I'm usually ok on rivers as thats my norm fishing but im lost at times on a big loch etc. I have noticed certain flees do well on loch or river eg: partiridge&ornage, Black pennel, greenweels glory etc but i dont know that many. What im trying to find out is are certain flees loch or river only or can i mix and match?. This is more to help me whne im up north exploring or doon me local spot river fishing. Any help be cool. thanks
TWVM :)

Richy

Grey Duster, Iron Blue Dun are dries that I find to be universal, except for last night at Harperrig but cause I was catchin with the Heather fly I did not try them if that makes any sense. Black flees on the lochs wont go wrong and ones with the pearly stuff on the body have been good for me.
I'm sure the lads from up North will keep you right.

All the best

Richy

Wildfisher

TWVM

When I started fishing in the 60?s it was on burns. When I started fishing lochs I just used the same flees, greenwells, black spider etc  they worked OK so I would say that most river flees will work just fine on lochs with  some bigger  palmered flees thrown in for good measure. Not so sure about the big lochs flees for rivers though as I always found that the smaller and lighter the dressing the better on the burns.

the white van man

Thanks guys
That gives me something to go on. Guess its just about geing it a try. Ill let ya know how i get on.
TWVM

the white van man

Ok
Done afair bit trying o the flee's in diffrent enviroments and the "partridge and orange " evry time works evrywhere. usually eihter a fast or really slow sinking figure o 8 does the trick.i use a size 20 so its small on 3lb leader but it seems to attract em.
TWVM

Go To Front Page